Advisors’ Easy Reference Tools

At Fredonia - Advising is Individualized Teaching

Welcome to the newest addition to the Academic Advising webpage created just for you, the SUNY Fredonia Advisor.  We hope that you will find it interesting and informative.  We have links that you can use at your leisure to explore our philosophy of advising .  . . and links that will take you to practical information that you need "right now!" so you can help that student sitting right there in front of you.  We hope that you will enjoy both.    


We start with the Advisor's Easy Reference Guide

                      (scroll below for important and "right now" information)


  • Reference Sheet for AdvisingHere is a handy list (Not) For Advisors Only to keep on your bulletin board. 
    If you refer to it often at first, the questions will soon become second nature.
  • Top 10 questions to ask your Advisee
  • College Core Curriculum (CCC) Checksheet and/or Departmental Checksheet– We recommend filling them out in pencil prior to the initial advising session and updating them during Advising & Early Registration as a way to keep manual track of CCC and degree requirement progress.  Students should have their own copy if at all possible. 
    • Questions and information about the CCC, check out the General Education at Fredonia College Core Curriculum Webpage.
    • Questions about unusual degree requirement concerns should be referred to your Department Chairperson.  If there is something that the student is saying--say a certain requirement has been waived for any reason--be sure that the student gets that in writing and in the Advising folder as soon as possible.  This will avoid problems later when the student applies for graduation. 
  •  CCC Summary – AKA: CCC Audit, but not exactly.  Comes from the Registrar’s Office and lists all courses that fall into the various CCC categories, except those taken elsewhere before Fall 2001 and transferred to Fredonia, i.e. not a definitive work but helpful.
  • Evaluation of Transcript – Particularly helpful in figuring out remaining CCC and major requirements for transfer students. Any questions about why something didn’t transfer, see your department chair or call Maegan Kivler, Transfer Advisor and Transcript Evaluator, in the Registrar’s Office, x3171 or email her at 
  • Course Search Option –  Students can search for courses online through the Fredonia Home Page, by clicking Student Resources at the top and then selecting Courses--Courses by term.  Students should have studied and made preliminary selections before seeing you for Advising.  
  • Declaration/Change/Addition/Deletion of Major/Minor/Concentration- This form is to be used for all changes in a student’s program and can be found at the Registrar's Office.  It must be done as a four-part form, so it is not available on-line.
  • Course Repeat Option – Offers a great opportunity for a student to repair a damaged GPA.  When courses are repeated, the initial grade will remain on the transcript, but an “E” will appear to the right of the initial grade earned indicating that this grade is excluded from the GPA calculation. Recommended for “F” grades, sometimes “D’s” (NOTE: financial aid recipients should always check on possible adverse financial aid ramifications for repeating courses “passed”).
  • Freshmen Forgiveness Policy – This policy discusses three options that are offered by SUNY Fredonia to help students repair their academic records.  This will be new to all faculty members (as of Fall 2008).  Please call the Academic Advising if you have further questions (x3188).   
 Possible Issues at Your Advising Session   
  • Financial Aid Information Sheet – Please keep in mind these key points:  dropping credit hours can affect financial aid eligibility for the next semester, repeating previously passed courses may not count toward a fulltime courseload for financial aid purposes, students must meet certain GPA requirements for continued receipt of financial aid, students have all received the attached chart of State and Federal Regulation.  If you have any questions about the ramifications of repeating a course, the Financial Aid Office will check for the student.  The process can be complicated, so defer to the experts (S-123 Williams Center, x3253).
  • Transfer Credit Approval – Currently enrolled students wishing to transfer credit to Fredonia from another institution must fill out a Transfer Credit Approval form located online. They must also include a copy of the course description(s) from the appropriate college catalog, before the course is taken (since this makes the most sense).  Credits for a major or minor must be approved and the form signed by the corresponding chairperson.  CCC queries should be directed to Dr. Rhea Simmons, 2148 Fenton Hall, x4948.  The student returns the form to the Registrar’s Office after courses are approved and appropriate signature(s) obtained.  The student then requests an official transcript be sent to the Fredonia Registrar after the course is completed.  Credit (not course title and/or grade) is then posted on the Fredonia transcript.
  • Math Placement Sheet – This is an excellent source of information when a student wants or needs a math course, but is just not sure what class is appropriate.  Another good source for this inquiry is Dr. Joseph Straight, Chairperson of Mathematical Sciences, x3243.  
  • Language Placement Sheet – This sheet discusses specifics regarding fulfilling the CCC requirements for Language.  Please also read more about the Spanish in Action courses that are available. Any questions should be directed to Dr. Carmen Rivera, Chairperson of Modern Languages Department, x3380.
  • Advising Center Webpage – The Advising Center maintains a web page designed to keep students informed of important advising dates and events.  Advisors too, should find this site informative – especially the Frequently Asked Questions piece.  Check it out at
  • Career Development Office – When you get a student who is really confused about direction (i.e., their major), point her/him towards the Career Development Office.  The use of the FOCUS 2 and a follow-up visit with a Career Development specialist can be just what he or she needs to help with the decision. 
 For Advisees on Probation    
  • Academic Policies –We recommend that you reference the catalog online with students when discussing their standing.  This is a small gesture to continue to express the idea that they are responsible for informing themselves on academic policy, beginning with the catalog.  
  • Academic Probation Forms – Documents used to impress students with the seriousness of their situation.  Includes Probation, Continuing Probation and Final Probation (Please note:  these are the forms developed and used by the Advising Center for use with our Liberal Arts students since we serve as their department.  Some departments have adopted this form; others use something else.  Please check with your department to see what they require for students on probation.  University Policy is that students on Probation must meet with an advisor at least 3 times during the semester.)
  • Academic Probation Appointment Notes/Recommendations – Use this form to record three mandatory meetings with students on probation during the semester.  At the end of the semester, forms are forwarded to your department chairperson and used to evaluate students’ status should Academic Dismissal come into question.  (Again, this is an Advising Center form used for our Liberal Arts Advisees.  Your department may use another form, so be sure to ask.)
  • Grade Point Average Worksheets – One commonly asked question is “What GPA do I need to get off probation?”  These two sheets will help you determine the answer, feel free to pick what one you want to use. 
    They look complicated; they are, but we promise, they work!

Now for the less practical, but perhaps more important issues:


Why should you care about advising?  Can you really make a difference?  Your University Senate has answered these questions for you by way of the Advising Manifesto.  We offer the link here so that you can see their resoundingly positive answer to those questions.     

As professional advisors, our affiliation is with the National ACademic ADvising Association (NACADA) and, as you read the statement of Core Values from that association, you will see that they, too, say, "Yes, you should care" and "Yes, you can make a difference."  Our hope is that you will embrace the challenge and enjoy your one-on-one teaching experiences during each advising session.      

Looking for more help?  Try these links:

"How to Thrive, Not Just Survive, As a New Advisor"  

 Advisor-Advisee Relationship  

And finally:  Here are some other programs administered by the Academic Advising.  You may get questions about them.   

Liberal Arts Freshmen Year Experience   

Fredonia in 4 

Page modified 7/1/15