International Student FAQ

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How do I apply? You may apply online at: To request that the application materials be sent to you, please contact
I have submitted an online application, what is the next step? Make sure you have submitted the $50 nonrefundable application fee payable to SUNY ASC, and then you must submit official transcriptsfrom all secondary (high school) and post-secondary (college) coursework, including:
  • mark sheets
  • exam results
  • certificates and diplomas
In addition, you are required to submit:
  • an English language proficiency test (TOEFL, IELTS, iTEP, SAT I or ACT). Students transferring 30 or more credit hours from a U.S. accredited institution are NOT required to submit standardized test scores. However, standardized test scores ARE used to determine eligibility for scholarships.
  • the SUNY FSA-2 - Autobiographical Essay (PDF 23 KB), FSA-3 - English Language Proficiency (PDF 44 KB), and the FSA-4 - Financial Statement (PDF 71 KB) forms which will require supporting documentation.
Please mail your supplemental materials to: Admissions Office Fenner House 178 Central Avenue SUNY Fredonia, Fredonia, NY 14063 USA
Do I have to submit an audition? Audition requirements for Music applicants can be found at: Audition requirements for Acting, Musical Theatre and Theatre Production Design applicants can be found at: International applicants may submit recorded auditions. Upon admission to the program, however, students must schedule an appointment with the department chair to audition in person upon arrival at SUNY Fredonia. Recorded auditions may be submitted on CD, non-regionalized DVD, or VHS tapes in NTSC US format.
Do I have to submit a portfolio? Portfolio requirements can be found at: More information about admission to Visual Arts and New Media can be found at:
What is the status of my application? You may access your current application status by logging on to our website at You will need your Fredonia student identification number in order to log on. Your student identification number will be emailed to you upon receipt of your application. Your PIN (personal identification number) is your 6 digit date of birth in 2-digit month, 2-digit date, 2-digit year format. For example, July 10, 1988 is 071088.
What is my Fredonia ID (Fredonia student identification number)? We will email your Fredonia ID once we receive your application. If you have not received your Fredonia ID within two weeks from the time you applied, please contact us and we will provide this information. You may contact us by telephone at (716) 673-3251 or e-mail
Where do I send my transcripts and other documents? Admissions Office, Fenner House, 178 Central Avenue, SUNY Fredonia, Fredonia, NY 14063.
Does Fredonia offer international students scholarship opportunities?

What is the cost of attendance?
Am I a resident or nonresident for tuition purposes? Non-immigrants admitted to the U.S. in categories which prohibit them from establishing a U.S. residence would not be eligible for in-state tuition, and include the following: B-1, B-2, C-1, C-2, C-3, D-1, F-1, F-2, H-1, H-2, H-3, H-4, J-1, J-2, M-1, M-2, O-2, P, Q, R-1, R-2. Immigrants, including permanent residents, asylees and refugees, may establish in-state residency for tuition purposes, with proof of status and domicile. Questions about immigration status should be directed to the Office of International Education.
What is the SUNY Fredonia school code for submitting TOEFL score electronically? Our school code for reporting the TOEFL score electronically is 2539.
What is the minimum college GPA required of transfer students? SUNY Fredonia will consider applications from F-1 transfer students with a 2.0 GPA or better. Your GPA, the strength of the coursework you took in college and the academic program to which you are applying will each factor in admissions decisions. *Students with fewer than 30 transferable credit hours must submit a standardized test (TOEFL, IELTS, iTEP, SAT or ACT). Students transferring from accredited colleges within the U.S. who have successfully completed more than 30 transferable credit hours do not need to submit a standardized test.
Where is the closest international airport to Fredonia? The nearest international airport is the Buffalo Niagara International Airport.
When will I receive my I-20? Questions about immigration should be directed to the Office of International Education.
What housing options are available for international students?
Can I be admitted to SUNY Fredonia before submitting the FSA-4 form (financial data)? You may be admitted to Fredonia before you submit your financial data (FSA-4 form - PDF 71 KB). However, your financial statement is necessary in order for us to issue a I-20.
Does Fredonia offer an English as a Second Language (ESL) summer program? No, not at this time.
Do I have to purchase SUNY Fredonia health insurance? For information about the health insurance coverage required of international students, please visit
Is there an orientation for international students? View the schedule of events for our International Student Orientation. For further information, please contact the Office of International Education.

Page modified 2/4/14