There are many websites, organizations, and books dedicated to assessment in higher
education. Below are a sample of such resources.
The office of University Planning and Analysis at North Carolina State University
maintains a comprehensive list of "Internet Resources for Higher Education Outcomes Assessment." Topics include general resources, assessment handbooks, assessment of specific
skills or content, institutions' assessment websites, and accrediting bodies.
The following are national organizations related to assessment in higher education:
The following are state organizations related to assessment in the SUNY system and
New York State:
The AAHLE organization also coordinates a listserv related to assessment. You can
search the listserv archives here or sign up to be a part of the listserv here.
- Angelo, T.A., & Cross, K.P. (1993). Classroom assessment techniques: A handbook for
college teachers (2nd ed.). San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
- Bresciani, M. J., Zelna, C. L., & Anderson, J. A. (2004). Assessing student learning
and development: A handbook for practitioners. National Association of Student Personnel
- Huba, M. E., & Freed, J. E. (2000). Learner-centered assessment on college campuses:
Shifting focus from teaching to learning. Boston: Allyn & Bacon.
- Maki, P. L. (2010). Assessing for learning: Building a sustainable commitment across
the institution (2nd ed.). Stylus Publishing.
- Stevens, D.D., & Levi, A. J. (2004). Introduction to rubrics: An assessment tool to
save grading time, convey effective feedback, and promote student learning. Stylus
- Suskie, L. (2009). Assessing student learning: A common sense guide (2nd ed.). San
- Walvoord, B.E., & Anderson, V. J. (2009). Effective grading: a tool for learning and
assessment in college. John Wiley & Sons.
- Walvoord, B.E., & Banta, T. W. (2010). Assessment clear and simple: A practical guide
for institutions, departments, and general education. John Wiley and Sons.
Please email Dr. Lisa Hunter (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you have suggestions for resources to add to this list.