SUNY Fredonia Off-Campus Living Guide
Living in the Community
As a SUNY Fredonia student, your behavior has a direct impact on how the community views the University. You are expected to abide by all State, Municipal, and University laws and policies. Those enrolled at SUNY Fredonia are expected to live respectfully and responsibly in the community. The Student Right and Responsibilities document is found in the SUNY Fredonia 2008-2010 Student Handbook (Student Handbook 53-111). This text discusses regulations governing student conduct and community standards of behavior.Potential Violations include, but are not limited to:
- Sexual Assault
- Assault, Robbery, Burglary
- Disorderly Conduct
- Serving Alcohol To Minors
If violations occur, two courses of action may take place: (1) Legal action may be taken by University Police and/or the Fredonia Police; (2) Disciplinary action may be taken by the Student Affairs Office.
However, such complaints may be handled through simple mediation. A proactive approach may help from major problems occurring. Here are some helpful hits to get along in your neighborhood and community:
- Be a good neighbor, and become conscious and courteous to surrounding residents.
- Keep the noise level of your guests and music at a moderate level
- Inform neighbors when you will have guests over
- If a neighbor complains about loud music, listen to him/her and try to correct the problem; do not allow the situation to escalate
- Keep your property clean and take trash out at the appropriate time
- Park legally
- Become familiar with town ordinances (i.e., noise)