Career Planning Timeline
- Participate in all aspects of life at Fredonia (academic, cultural, social).
- Enroll in a variety of courses to gain exposure to new knowledge, skills, and issues.
- Pursue interests and skills by participating in clubs, teams, performances, or other campus or community activities.
- Learn about resources and services available on campus.
- Begin to explore career options at the CDO.
- Make a tentative selection of a major.
- Begin to get to know faculty, counselors, staff, and administrators.
RESEARCH AND IDENTIFY
- Enroll in courses in prospective majors.
- Identify your interests, skills, and values.
- Talk with a career counselor in the CDO.
- Learn about and explore the world of work.
- Research selected occupations for academic, personality, and skill requirements.
- Interview people working in selected occupations.
- Make preliminary career decisions.
- Select a major appropriate to those decisions.
- Begin to develop your network of contacts.
- Enroll in several courses in your major.
- Accept responsibility for tasks, projects or a program in campus or community activities.
- Enroll in elective courses to enhance qualifications (i.e., computer applications, languages, writing).
- Talk to people working in career fields or organizations of interest.
- Try career fields of interest through summer jobs, internships, and volunteer work.
- Develop a resume for summer and internship opportunities.
- Investigate the potential role of graduate or professional school in your career plans.
- Discuss plans with counselors and faculty.
- Complete course requirements for major and degree.
- Plan job search campaign and/or graduate school campaign.
- Learn effective search skills, including writing resumes and cover letters, interviewing, and search strategies.
- Conduct a thorough job search campaign and/or application to graduate/professional school.
- Participate in special programs: Job & Internship Expo, Teacher Recruitment Days, Meet the Accountants Night, Job Quest, Graduate School Fair, as well as CDO Spotlights and recruitment events.
Adapted and reprinted with permission from an article entitled, Successful Career Planning For Future Grads by Deborah Veady, Associate Director of Career Planning at California State University, Long Beach.