Fred LEADS Peer Mentor Program is designed to increase the success and retention rates
of first-year SUNY Fredonia students. The program connects first-year students and
first time transfer students with upper-class peer mentors. Peer mentors coordinate
opportunities for students to become acclimated to the campus and the surrounding
communities, as well as to develop their personal, academic, social and cultural experiences
through programming and guidance.
Goals & Objectives
- Promote academic excellence.
- Encourage the development of student relationships with other students and staff.
- Advance knowledge about campus services.
- Help establish career and educational goals.
- Provide consistent, reliable sources of support and inspiration.
A number of incentives will be offered during the academic year to encourage mentors
and mentees to take full advantage of the program possibilities. Incentives can consist
of movie tickets, certificates to local restaurants, cultural events, sporting events
Both Mentee and Mentor will be eligible to recieve a monthly incentive ONLY when the
following are completed:
- Communication is made between mentor & mentee at least once a week.
- One out of the five components of LEADS is completed at least once a month.
- Mentor/Mentee pairs must submit a completed activity log.
- Each time that the five components of LEADS are completed, both mentee and mentor's
name will be added to to a drawing for the chance to win a grand prize at the end
of the academic year.