Welcome to TEC!
Teacher Education Club (TEC) is a SUNY Fredonia group for students looking to expand their knowledge and appreciation of the field of Education. This group is primarily student run and connects students to the community, College of Education, and surrounding school districts. TEC provides helpful information about trends in teaching, and vital pedagogical knowledge through guest speakers currently in the field.
Teacher Education Club helps students prepare for their professional year and future careers by offering workshops in resume and portfolio construction and insight in the craft of networking. The members are given numerous opportunities to reach out into the community and volunteer through tutoring and service learning projects. The bi-weekly meetings encourage networking and collaboration with other like-minded individuals—TEC offers a safe space for any student pursuing a career in Education.
- Learn to build a professional teaching portfolio and resume'
- Participate in mock interviews & interview techniques
- Learn how to write an effective cover letter
- Participate in Children's Fest
- Participate in the Dress for Success Fashion Show
- Earn certificates of participation and achievement for your teaching portfolio
- Listen to speakers discuss: Graduate school, teacher certification, the teaching interview, the first year of teaching, working effectively with parents, etc...
2009-2010 Major Accomplishments:
- The establishment of a Council for Exceptional Children chapter at SUNY Fredonia. TEC was able to send students to the NYS CEC convention in Niagara Falls, NY as well as the national CEC convention in Nashville, TN. The CEC chapter stands at 17 members and continues to grow.
- We increased the average attendance at meetings. The average attendance at all of our professional development meetings throughout the year was 53 members. This was much higher than last year. In addition, we had many members sign up for our other events such as hanging the greens, out of the darkness walk, AIDS walk, etc.
- We were fortunate to be able to bring in multiple Fredonia alumni (ex: Matt Feldman and Patrick Newell) to present on their experiences as beginning teachers. They also offered suggestions to our group members for successful classroom management techniques that they have used.