Clara Beier, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Literacy
Office: TH W261 Phone: (716)679-4680 Email: email@example.com
Dr. Clara Beier teaches graduate and undergraduate courses in Literacy including courses
in assessment, the Reading Clinic, children’s literature, and general Literacy methods.
She is presently the Coordinator for Literacy Programs, a position she shares with
Dr. Jennifer Moon Ro.
- Digital books and children’s literature
- Preservice teacher knowledge
- Literacy coaching and leadership
- Critical literacy and social justice
- Coordinator for SUNY Fredonia student teaching program in Australia
- Member of the International Reading Association, AERA, and NCTE. Active in local Reading
- Director of the SUNY Fredonia Reading Clinic
- Ro, J., Beier, C., & Chen, X (2010). Digital writing workshop: Preservice teachers
explore writing through informational digital bookmaking. The Reading Professor 32, (1), 38-45.
- Herbeck, J., Beier, C., Franzak, J., & Stolp, S. (2008). Voices of critical literacy:
How do middle school students, teachers, and preservice teachers respond? The Language and Literacy Spectrum, 18, 28-36.
- Herbeck, J. & Beier, C. (2003). A critical literacy curriculum: Helping preservice
teachers to understand reading and writing as emancipatory acts. Thinking Classroom , 4, (4) 37-42.
- Beier, C. (2002). Spelling inquiry: Research and resources. Montana State Reading Journal , 19, (1) 9-12.
- Beier, C. & Morehouse, S. (1998). Using double entry journals to encourage student
participation. Montana State Reading Journal, 15, 18-23
- April 2011, American Education Research Association, New Orleans Preservice Literacy Teacher Educators' Perspective Towards Literacy Instruction (Hinchman, K., Kreutter, C., Shea, M., Cerpano, M., Beier, C., & Tynan, E.)
- November 2010, National Association of Multicultural Education, Las Vegas Mirrors and Windows: Empowering Children and Youth through Critical Literacy (Herbeck, J., Franzak, J., & Beier, C.)
- February, 2009 International Reading Association, Phoenix Integrating and creating informational digital children’s books into the primary curriculum
(Beier,C., Ro, J., & Chen, X.)
- December, 2008 National Reading Conference, Orlando, Florida Preservice teachers and first graders writing informational digital books (Ro, J., Beier, C., Chen, X.)
- October, 2007 18th Annual Early Childhood Conference Fredonia, NY Click, Write, and Print: Creating Digital Children’s Books (Skelton,J., Ro, J., & Beier, C.)
- November, 2007 New York State Reading Association Saratoga, NY “Digital Bookmaking: Pre-Service Teachers Using Digital Media” (Ro, J., & Beier, C.)
- May, 2006 International Reading Association, Chicago “History in the Trenches: Exploring Critical Literacy” (Marshall,J., Beier, C., Herbeck, J., & Berkley, M.)
- November, 2005 National Council of Teachers of English, Pittsburgh “Middle School Perceptions of Critical Literacy” (Herbeck, J., Franzak, J., Beier, C.)
- May, 2005 International Reading Association, San Antonio, Texas “Exploring Critical Literacy and Social Justice Through the History Workshop” (Beier, C., Marshall, J., Berkley, M., & Herbeck, J.)
- Doctor of Philosophy, 1994, University of Arizona. Teaching and Teacher Education.
Minor in Reading, Language and Culture Dissertation: Preservice Teachers’ Conceptualizations of the Integrated Curriculum.
- Masters of Science in Education, 1979, Western Oregon State University. Area of emphasis:
Early Childhood Education
- Bachelor of Science in Education, 1973, Oregon State University. Elementary Education