Michael Jabot, Ph.D.
Office: E250 Thompson Hall Phone: (716)673-3639
Dr. Jabot's teaching interests are in science education, particularly how students
make sense of the physical world around them.
Dr. Jabot's current research focuses on the development of learning progressions and
the conceptual diagnostic assessments that allow for measuring the impact of instruction
on student learning. In particular, he focuses on the impact of geospatial reasoning
and place-based science learning.
Recent Scholarly Activity
- Maheady, L., Smith, C., & Jabot, M. (2014) Field Experiences and Instructional Pedagogies in Teacher Education What We Know,
Don’t Know, and Must Learn Soon. "Handbook of Research on Special Education Teacher Preparation. Routledge, New
- Lindeman, K., Jabot, M. & Berkley, M. (2013) The role of STEM (or STEAM) in the Early Childhood Setting. Advances in Early Education and Day Care, Volume 17, “Learning across the Early
Childhood Curriculum. Emerald Group Publishing Limited (UK).
- Maheady, L., Smith, C., & Jabot, M. (2013) Utilizing Evidence-Based Practice in Teacher Preparation. Advances in Learning and Behavioral Disabilities. Routledge, New York.
- Banko, W., Grant, M., Jabot, M., McCormack, A., and O’Brien, T. (2013) Science for the Next Generation: Preparing for the New Standards. NSTA Press, Arlingnton, VA.
- Maheady, L., Smith, C., & Jabot, M. (in review) Field Experiences and Instructional Pedagogies in Teacher Education: What We Know,
Don't Know, and Must Learn Soon. Handbook of Research on Special Education. Routledge, New York.
- Banko, W., Jabot, M. (2010) Knowing Science Kid Knowledge
- Maheady, L. and Jabot, M. (in review) Collecting Evidence to Support Teaching Effectiveness: A Practice-Based Evidence Approach. Teacher Education and Special Education.
- McMillen, C., Mallette,B., Smith, C., Rey, J. Jabot, M., Michielli-Pendl, J and Maheady,
L.(in review) The Effects of Numbered Heads Together on the Science Quiz Performance of 9th Grade
Students. Journal of Evidence-Based Practices for Schools
- Jabot, M. and Deakin, A.(in review) The Use Geospatial Technologies in the Building of Mental Models. Journal of Science Education and Technology.
- Maheady, L., Smith, C., Jabot, M., Michielli-Pendl, J., and Mallette, B. (in review)
Doing the Jars: An Effective and Motivating Way to Promote Pupil Success in School! Teacher Education and Special Education
- Maheady, L., Smith, C. & Jabot, M. (in review) Collecting Evidence to Support Teaching Effectiveness: A Practice-Based Evidence Approach. Teacher Education and Special Education
- Maheady, L. and Jabot, M. (2012) Comprehensive Teacher Induction: What We Know, Don’t Know, and Must Learn Soon! Proceedings Fifth Annual Summit on Evidence-Based Education, Wing Institute, Berkeley,
- Magiera, K., Simmons, R., Jabot, M., and Lesniak, K. (2012) Secondary Science Co-Teaching: What Does It Look Like in Action? The Science Teachers Bulletin.
- Ferneza, P., Jabot, M. and Maheady, L. (2012) The Effects of Group Contingent Mystery Motivator on the Academic Performance of a
Non-Regents Science Class. Journal of Evidence-Based Practices for Schools.
Funded Grants (selected)
- NASA ROSES grant. Advancing Mentor and Novice Teachers in Space Science (AMANTISS)
with Traci Wierman (PI) University of California at Berkley and Greg Schultz, NASA
Space Science Group. ($798,000)
- New York State Excelsior Scholars Programs for Grade Seven Mathematics and Science
Students withDr. Keary Howard ($73,785)
- NASA NSPIRES grant. Advancing Teacher Leaders in Space Science: Supporting Coherent Science Instruction
Among Teachers Nationwide, Using the New NASA/GEMS Space Science Sequence and Other
NASA/SMD Content and Resources with Jaquline Barber (PI) University of California at Berkley. ($473,000)
- National Science Foundation DRL Program (NSF - 0353474) Improving Achievement by Maintaining the Learning Potential of Rich Mathematics Problems:
An Experimental Study of a Video- and Internet-Based Professional Development Program
(ViSTA). with Drs. Roth, Givvin & Santagata ( $ 2,253,000)
- Housing and Urban Development Community Outreach Partnership Center (COPC), HUD, with
Drs. Falk, Givner, Deakin, Krohn and Chilberg. ($399,868 )
- Robert Noyce Scholarship Program. National Science Foundation (NSF 04-34103) Robert Noyce Scholarship Program with Drs. Straight, Lawson and Pickreign ($495,480)
- New York State Education Department Mathematics and Science Partnership Grant - Young
Inquiring Scientists Want To Know Project with Dr. Kathleen Gradel ($3,598,571).
- National Science Foundation Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics Talent
Expansion (STEP) initiative (NSF-04-529) with Drs. Zawicki, Singer, Sanders, and Sanger
(Buffalo State). ($1,000,000)
- Robert Noyce Scholarship Program. National Science Foundation (NSF 04-34103) NSF-Noyce WNY Partnership for New Science and Math Scholars with Drs. Zawicki, MacIsaac, Henry, Wilson, and McMillen (Buffalo State). ($469,200)
- Collaboration for IHE/School Quality Partnership Project (Collab-IsQ) Project. US
Department of Education, Teacher Quality Enhancement Grants Program (CFDA 84.336.B/
84.336D). with Dr. Kathleen Gradel; in collaboration with Ms. Janeil Rey. ($998,000)
- New York State Education Department Teacher/Leader Quality Partnership (TLQP) Program,
"Teacher/Leader Partnerships with High Needs Districts" with Drs. Maheady, Gradel
& Magiera and Ms. Janeil Rey. ($15,000)
- New York State Higher Education Support Center for Systems Change, Faculty Fellowships,
"The Effects of a Computer Performance System (CPS) versus a Traditional Questioning
Strategy on Diverse Groups of Sixth Graders' Active Participation and Science Test
Performance in Inclusive Settings" with Drs. Maheady, Gradel & Magiera. ($15,000)
- National Science Foundation Rural PTRA grant through the American Association of Physics
Teachers to support the development of rural physics teachers. ($250,000)
- Ph.D. Syracuse University
- MSEd. SUNY Cortland
- BSEd. St. Bonaventure University