Ana Maria Klein, Ph. D.
Associate Professor of Multicultural Education and Mathematics Education
Office: TH E282 Phone: (716) 673-3147
I am a native of Venezuela where I lived and taught in American and International
schools prior to immigrating to Canada in 1994. My multicultural and linguistic backgrounds
shape and inform my teaching. Prior to embracing a teaching career, I worked in the
private sector in Venezuela hoping to become a CEO in a petroleum services company.
As a non-traditional student I earned my teaching certificate in my thirties, my master's
degree in my forties, and my Ph.D. nearing my fifties. I am proud to share this as
I am a lifelong learner and not afraid to embrace new challenges. These thirteen years
at SUNY Fredonia (2001-2014) have been productive and rewarding. Aside from enjoying
the varied undergraduate and graduate courses that I have taught (mathematics & multicultural
education) I have also been a productive author (three single-authored books, various
refereed articles, international & national conference presentations, and numerous
educational shifts). I have been an active governance leader within SUNY and Fredonia
and have also been C & I department chair. My research explorations include Holocaust
and Diaspora curriculum development, mathematics knowledge management, integrating
the Common Core, and including the study of mathematics within the humanities.
- I teach undergraduate site-based cultural and linguistic diversity courses, mathematics
methods courses, graduate cultural studies, activity-oriented mathematics and research
- Klein, A. (2014). Integrating common core mathematics standards & learning from our students. NY: The New York StateMathematics Teachers’ Journal. Vol. 64 pp. 65-67.
- Klein, A. (2013). Humanizing mathematics and science education. Champaign, IL: The International Journal of Literary Humanities. (Vol 10, (2) pp.
- Klein, A. (2013). Mathematical knowledge-management. Champaign, IL: Knowledge Management, an International Journal. Vol 12, (1) pp.1-7.
- Klein, A. (2012). Raising multicultural awareness in higher education Second Edition. MD: University Press of America.
- Klein, A. (2012). Content knowledge-confidence for teacher-candidates. NY: The New York State Mathematics Teachers’ Journal. Vol .62 (2) pp. 57-60.
- Klein, A. (2012). A diaspora curriculum. Urbana, Champaign, IL: The International Humanities Journal. Vol.9 (5) pp. 202-210.
- Klein, A. (2013). University Course Content Delivered through Peripheral Readings Instead of Textbooks. Budapest, Hungary. The 12th International Humanities Conference.
- Klein, A. (2012). Mathematical knowledge management. Chicago, IL. The 12th. International Management Conference.
- Klein, A. (2012). Humanizing math/science education through discursive meaning-making, real-life applications and accessible technology. Montreal, Qc. The 11th. International Humanities Conference.
- Klein, A. (2011). Towards a Diaspora Curriculum. Humanities Conference, Granada, Spain.
- Klein, A. (2010). Polarization & pauperization in Venezuela. Management Conference 2010 Hautes Etudes Commerciales, Montreal, Qc.
- Klein, A. (2010). Teaching early childhood mathematics creatively. Educating the Creative Mind Conference, Kean University, NJ.
- Ph.D. 2000, Curriculum & Instruction, McGill University, Montreal-Canada
- MA 1992, Instructional Psychology, Universidad Central de Venezuela
- BA 1980, Modern Languages, Universidad Metropolitana, Caracas-Venezuela