Kate Mahoney, Ph.D.
Associate Professor and TESOL Programs Coordinator
Office: TH E254 Phone: (716) 673-4653
Dr. Mahoney earned her Ph.D. in Curriculum & Instruction with a concentration in Bilingual Education from Arizona State University in 2003. She taught elementary school as well as middle and high school mathematics to students learning English as their second language in New York, Texas, New Mexico, and Belize. Currently, Dr. Mahoney is an associate professor in the Department of Language, Learning, and Leadership where she teaches courses in teaching English as a second language (TESOL). Through her research, she evaluates policies surrounding the assessment of English Language Learners (ELLs) in public schools. She was the recipient of the William T. Hagan Young Scholar Award given by the State University of New York at Fredonia in 2011.
Dr. Mahoney’s research addresses the validity of using achievement and language proficiency test scores for English Language Learners (ELLs), language program effectiveness through meta-analysis, and evaluating policies and practices concerning ELLs in Arizona and nationally.
- Mahoney, K., MacSwan, J., Haladyna, T., & Garcia, D. (2010). Castañeda’s Third Prong: The Achievement of Arizona’s English Language Learners under Proposition 203. In P. Gándara (ed.), Forbidden Language. (pp. 50-64) New York, NY: Teacher’s College Press.
- Mahoney, K., Haladyna, T., & MacSwan, J. (2009). The need for multiple measures in reclassification decisions: A validity study of the Stanford English Language Proficiency Test (SELP). In J. S. Lee, T. G. Wiley, & R. Rumberger (eds.), The Education of Language Minority Immigrants in the USA (pp.263-294). Bristol, UK: Multilingual Matters.
- Mahoney, K. (2008). Linguistic influences on differential item functioning for second language learners on the National Assessment of Educational Progress (NAEP). International Journal of Testing, 8(1), 14-33.
- Mahoney, K. & Rolstad (2008). Program Effectiveness Research, pp. 675-678. In J. Gonzalez (ed.), Encyclopedia of Bilingual Education. Thousand Oaks, California: Sage Publishers.
- Mahoney, K. (2008) Impact of Proposition 203 (Arizona) pp. 688-691. In J. Gonzalez (ed.), Encyclopedia of Bilingual Education. Thousand Oaks, California: Sage Publishers.
- Mahoney, K. (2008). James Cummins pp. 210-211. In J. Gonzalez (ed.), Encyclopedia of Bilingual Education. Thousand Oaks, California: Sage Publishers.
- MacSwan, J. & Mahoney, K., (2008). Academic Bias in Language Testing: A Construct Validity Critique of the OPT I Oral Grades K-6 Spanish Second Edition (IPT Spanish) Journal of Educational Research and Policy Studies (JERPS), 8(2), 86-101.
- Rolstad, K., Mahoney, K., & Glass, G.V. (2008). The Big Picture in Bilingual Education: A Meta-analysis Corrected for Gersten’s Coding Error Journal of Educational Research and Policy Studies (JERPS), 8(2), 1-15.
- Rolstad, K., Mahoney, K., & Glass, G.V. (2005). The big picture: A meta-analysis of program effectiveness research on English language learners. Educational Policy, 19(4), 572-594.
- Rolstad, K., Mahoney, K., & Glass, G.V. (2005).Weighing the evidence: A meta-analysis of bilingual education in Arizona. Bilingual Research Journal, 29(1), 43-67.
- Mahoney, K., and MacSwan, J. (2005). Reexamining identification and reclassification of English language learners: A critical discussion of select state practices. Bilingual Research Journal, 29(1), 31-42.
Ph.D. in Curriculum and Instruction with a Concentration in Bilingual Education, December 2003, Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ.