Information | Parking and Bus Service | Ticket Policy | Campus Map | Area Accommodations and Restaurant Guide | Commencement Eve Entertainment | Checklist | Special Needs | Dual Ceremonies | Commencement Photos
Dear Parents and Families of the Class of 2013,
It is with pride and anticipation that we announce SUNY Fredonia's Commencement 2013. On this day, we will join in ceremonies marking the beginning of a new phase in the lives of the students we honor. There is a special place for you as well. Your support and encouragement, expressed in so many ways, was essential to our graduates' success.
The Commencement ceremonies (10 a.m. and 3 p.m. according to academic major) will take place in the arena portion of Steele Hall. Bachelor's, master's and advanced certificate candidates/graduates will be combined in the two ceremonies.
We ask that you discuss with your graduate two important matters that will contribute to making this a great day for everyone. The consumption of alcohol in the arena is neither acceptable nor condoned, and university policy on alcohol consumption will be strictly enforced. Also, please plan your post-Commencement activities so that everyone can remain in the Steele Hall arena until the conclusion of the ceremony.
A professional photographer will take a picture of each graduate shaking hands with the President. Students will be notified by email when proofs are available online at the GradImages site. A proof will also be sent to the graduate's home address for your approval at no obligation. Following the ceremony, you are encouraged to join us at a reception honoring in the Dods Hall grove honoring the Class of 2013. The rain location for the reception is the Robert and Marilyn Maytum Music Rehearsal Halls in Mason Hall.
We look forward to seeing you on Saturday, May 18.
Virginia S. Horvath, Ph.D. Meagan Allers
President, SUNY Fredonia Senior Class President
Important Commencement 2013 Information
- Ticket distribution begins on Sunday, April 21 and continues until Friday, May 10. Only students are eligible to pick up tickets, not family members. It is anticipated that graduates will be able to receive at least four tickets to the Steele Hall arena. The number of tickets available will be based on the legal and safe seating capacity for the arena, and the university reserves the right to limit the number of tickets distributed for each ceremony. When the student picks up his/her tickets, there will also be a sign-up sheet to request additional tickets to the arena. Students will be contacted after May 10 by Commencement Chair Michael Lemieux if extra tickets are available, with instructions for picking them up at the Williams Center by Friday, May 17. Two extra tickets, for viewing live video of the ceremony in the Steele Hall ice rink, may be requested at the same time on a first-come, first-served basis, until seating capacity has been reached. Graduates may only obtain tickets; they will not be given to family members.
- Tickets are color-coded for each ceremony, read further on this web page for the university's Ticket Policy. It is your responsibility to verify with your graduate his/her assigned ceremony. Tickets will be Lime (arena) and Peach (video venue) for the morning ceremony, and Gray (arena) and Yellow (video venue) for the afternoon. We will not honor tickets at the door that are not color-coded for the appropriate ceremony.
- Commencement seating is general admission wooden bleacher seating (no back to the seat) with the exception of a limited amount of Special Needs (Handicapped) seating. Needing a seat with a back is a Special Need. Special Needs also includes visual and hearing impaired guests. Accommodations are available on a first-come, first-served basis. Please plan to arrive early in order to secure Special Needs seating. Only one family member (or attendant) will be permitted to accompany the person in the Special Needs seating section, the rest must sit in general seating. Please refer to the section, "Information Regarding Special Needs (Handicapped) Seating" on this web page for additional information.
- The afternoon ceremony will begin promptly at 3 p.m. We ask that families attending the morning ceremony vacate the arena as soon as possible at the conclusion of the ceremony so that we may prepare the arena for the afternoon.
- Commencement information will also be distributed to graduates/potential candidates on this site.
[ Back to Top ]
Parking and Bus Service for Commencement
We realize that the majority of our Commencement guests will be parking in areas requiring some walking to the arena. We will be providing bus service to assist guests from parking areas to Steele Hall. As indicated earlier on the website, the ceremonies will be held in the Steele Hall arena, and the video venue will be located in the ice rink in Steele Hall.
When arriving, guests will be directed to parking areas throughout campus and bused to the entrances of the Steele Hall facility. Arriving early on campus is strongly suggested; doors to all venues will open at 8:45 a.m. for the morning ceremony and at 2 p.m. for the afternoon ceremony. We encourage those living in the local area to arrive early as well.
With the exception of those holding valid handicapped parking permits/tags/license plates, there will be limited parking available in the immediate Steele hall area.
Following each ceremony and after the President's reception in the Dods Hall grove, a bus will be available to transport guests back to parking areas.
Paramount in our planning is the knowledge that this is a very special day for graduates and their guests, and the entire SUNY Fredonia family is working to create a safe, enjoyable and memorable event.
Please direct questions or concerns in writing to the Commencement Committee, c/o Campus Life Office, Williams Center, SUNY Fredonia, Fredonia, NY 14063.
[ Back to Top ]
Commencement Ticket Policy
The members of the Commencement Committee and the University President have established the following policy on the distribution of tickets for Commencement.
- Commencement tickets are not considered a salable commodity; they are free to degree candidates. Concurrent degree students (i.e. those receiving two bachelor's degrees during the same semester) are entitled to one set of tickets. All students must show a photo I.D. when they pick up their tickets at the designated area in the Williams Center.
Tickets will be given only to students, not family members.
- Students who do not plan to participate in Commencement should not pick up tickets.
- Commencement tickets may not be sold. Offenders will be referred to the university's Judicial system, and records will be held until any penalties are satisfied.
- Students who pick up tickets for Commencement are not entitled to tickets for another Commencement at a later date unless they are obtaining another degree; i.e. bachelor's graduates who participated in Commencement are entitled to tickets if they have earned a master's degree (or advanced certificate).
- Students who have picked up tickets for Commencement, and, because of unforeseen circumstances do not plan to use them, must return the tickets to the Committee Chairperson in the Campus Life Office for redistribution. These students will not be eligible to receive tickets for a later Commencement if they have not returned the first set of tickets.
- Tickets will be color-coded for each ceremony, morning and afternoon, as will be reader cards for degree candidates. Students should make sure family members are aware of which ceremony they will be attending.
[ Back to Top ]
Area Accommodations and Restaurant Guide
For information on area accommodations and restaurants, see this guide.
[ Back to Top ]
Commencement Eve Entertainment
SUNY Fredonia's talented student vocalists will take center stage in King Concert Hall on Friday, May 17 at 7:30 p.m. as the Michael C. Rockefeller Arts Center continues a campus tradition by hosting the annual Commencement Eve Pops Concert in King Concert. This is the final event in the 2012-2013 DFT Communications Pops Series. All seats are reserved, and due to the popularity of the event, early ticket purchase is recommended.
"The Great American Songbook Part I" will also feature the Western New York Chamber Orchestra led by Maestro Glenn Cortese. The concert will include some of the greatest pop songs from American songwriters. Planned as a multiyear project, this first installation features music by Cole Porter, Irving Berlin, and Rogers and Hammerstein. The event sponsor is the Fredonia and Silver Creek Penny Saver.
Tickets are $20, $22.50 and $25, depending on seat location, and are available at the SUNY Fredonia Ticket Office in the Williams Center. You may order online or by telephone with Visa or MasterCard. For online orders, go to www.fredonia.edu/tickets. For telephone orders, call (716) 673-3501 or toll-free at 1-866-441-4928. A nominal fee of $2.00 per ticket applies to telephone and online orders. Requests will be filled with the best available seats at the time the order is received, and tickets will be held at the SUNY Fredonia Ticket Office until 5 p.m. on the day of the performance. Unclaimed tickets will then be available for pickup at King Concert Hall beginning at 6:30 p.m. that evening.
The SUNY Fredonia Ticket Office is open during the spring semester on Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. and on Saturdays from 1 to 5 p.m.
The Commencement Committee is proud to announce that fresh cut flowers will be available for purchase at the main entrance to the natatorium on the day of Commencement. A large variety of sizes, colors and products will be available. To pre-order flowers via email, see the website at www.CommencementFlowers.com/index.php/SUNYFredonia.
This link does not represent an endorsement by SUNY Fredonia. It is provided as a service to our Commencement families and guests.
[ Back to Top ]
The Commencement Committee has arranged for a photo to be taken of your graduate during the Commencement ceremony. GradImages will provide information when proofs are ready, as well as an electronic link to their website.
This does not represent an endorsement by SUNY Fredonia and there is no obligation to purchase. It is a service provided to our Commencement families and guests.
Family Commencement Checklist
___ Made reservations for hotel accommodations.
___ Reminded student graduate to pick up tickets for family, and purchase cap/gown and announcements.
___ Purchased tickets for Commencement Eve Pops Concert, if desired.
___ Determined ahead of time when your student will give you Commencement tickets, as it will be difficult to connect with students in the hour or two prior to each ceremony.
[ Back to Top ]
"Happy Graduation" Commencement 2013 DVDs
SUNY Fredonia will be sending each graduate participant DVDs including both Commencement 2013 ceremonies. Both ceremonies are professional, multi-camera, color broadcasts.
The production features graduates and their friends being congratulated by SUNY Fredonia President Virginia S. Horvath "up close and personal." The DVDs are a gift from the Commencement Committee, the Fredonia Alumni Association and the Fredonia College Foundation.
[ Back to Top ]
Information Regarding Special Needs (Handicapped) Seating
SUNY Fredonia is pleased to provide special services for individuals with Special Needs/disabilities. However, this balcony-level seating is limited and available on a first-come, first-served basis. Please plan to arrive early in order to secure Special Needs Seating.
Due to limited capacity, only one member of your party will be permitted to accompany the individual with Special Needs in the reserved seating section. Please also note that each entrant into the arena must have his/her own individual ticket (from the original four tickets given to each graduate). For example, if the disabled person requires an attendant, both must have a color-coded ticket for entry. There are no special tickets for special needs guests - tickets must come from the student's initial allotment.
- There will be special volunteers on the balcony to assist you in finding Special Needs Seating when you enter the arena.
- A valid handicapped parking tag/license/sticker will be honored for parking close to the arena.
[ Back to Top ]