Information About SUNY Fredonia Counseling Services
Knowledgeable and involved parents are an important factor in student success. We find that the students whose parents are actively involved and maintain open communication lines with their sons and daughters, are the ones who are the most likely to succeed academically, make wise and appropriate choices, and refrain from engaging in high-risk behaviors such as alcohol abuse. Parent's Guide to SFCC Services Brochure : PDF
Listed below are some links to websites that you might find helpful and informative:
- College Parents of America: (http://www.collegeparents.org/)
"What is College Parents of America? College Parents of America (CPA) is the only national membership association dedicated to helping parents prepare and put their children through college easily, economically and safely. Today, college parents represent an estimated 12 million households. An additional 24 million households are currently saving and otherwise preparing children for college. CPA is a resource, an advisor and an advocate working on behalf of these millions of families."
- What Parents Need to Know about College Drinking - An excellent resource page on things to consider when your child is choosing a college, staying involved during your child's freshman year, and getting assistance if your child is involved in an alcohol incident.
- Alcohol, Other Drugs, and College: A Parent's Guide: (http://www.edc.org/hec/pubs/parents.html)
- PFLAG (Parents, Families, Friends of Lesbians and Gays): (http://www.pflag.org) an excellent site offering good general information about issues facing GLBT individuals and how their loved ones may assist and advocate for them.
- Parents and Loved Ones of Sexual Abuse and Rape Survivors:(http://www.rainn.org/get-help/help-a-loved-one) -- a good site from the friends and family of people who have been sexually assaulted or abused. Gives tips on how you can help them through.
- The Parent Connection: (updated!) (http://www.edc.org/hec/parents/) information for parents on alcohol and other drug prevention.
- Books for Parents of College Students - From Amazon.com, this is a list of "parent survival guide" books to help you make it through your son or daughter's college years.
Other Campus Web Resources
Several other college counseling centers have put together resources for parents; these materials are aimed at helping parents deal with their son or daughter's transition to college. Follow the links below for more information.
Parent Survival Guide - This excellent page from Shenandoah University contains information on personal and academic transitions, as well as nine useful, well-described tips for parents of college students.
Just for Parents - The University of Texas offers coping strategies as well as suggestions for how to help your child from a distance.
[ Back To Top ]