Information About Student Counseling Services
Knowledgeable and involved parents are an important factor in student success. We
find that the students whose parents are actively involved and maintain open communication
lines with their sons and daughters, are the ones who are the most likely to succeed
academically, make wise and appropriate choices, and refrain from engaging in high-risk
behaviors such as alcohol abuse. Parent's Guide to SCS Brochure : PDF
Listed below are some links to websites that you might find helpful and informative:
- College Parents of America: (http://www.collegeparents.org/)
"What is College Parents of America? College Parents of America (CPA) is the only
national membership association dedicated to helping parents prepare and put their
children through college easily, economically and safely. Today, college parents represent
an estimated 12 million households. An additional 24 million households are currently
saving and otherwise preparing children for college. CPA is a resource, an advisor
and an advocate working on behalf of these millions of families."
- What Parents Need to Know about College Drinking - An excellent resource page on things to consider when your child is choosing a
college, staying involved during your child's freshman year, and getting assistance
if your child is involved in an alcohol incident.
- PFLAG (Parents, Families, Friends of Lesbians and Gays): (http://www.pflag.org) an excellent
site offering good general information about issues facing GLBT individuals and how
their loved ones may assist and advocate for them.
- Parents and Loved Ones of Sexual Abuse and Rape Survivors:(http://www.rainn.org/get-help/help-a-loved-one) -- a good site from the friends and
family of people who have been sexually assaulted or abused. Gives tips on how you
can help them through.
- Books for Parents of College Students - From Amazon.com, this is a list of "parent survival guide" books to help you make
it through your son or daughter's college years.
Other Campus Web Resources
Several other college counseling centers have put together resources for parents;
these materials are aimed at helping parents deal with their son or daughter's transition
to college. Follow the links below for more information.
Parent Survival Guide - This excellent page from Shenandoah University contains information on personal
and academic transitions, as well as nine useful, well-described tips for parents
of college students.
Just for Parents - The University of Texas offers coping strategies as well as suggestions for how
to help your child from a distance.
[ Back To Top ]