- Biology. Students who complete the B.S. program in Biology at Fredonia have received an education
that has them well prepared to enter medical, graduate, veterinary, or other professional
school. Students have also had great success in gaining employment in research positions
after graduating from Fredonia.
- Biology Adolescence Education. Students interested in a career as a high school biology teacher take both biology
and education courses to earn their teaching certificate. There is a need for additional
science teachers in New York, providing good employment opportunities to students
who complete this program.
- Exercise Science. The Exercise Science program focuses on applied human physiology. The program is
recommended for students interested in pursuing a variety of health careers, including
Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy and Health and Wellness Promotion, as well
as graduate work in exercise physiology and biomechanics.
- Medical Technology. A degree in Medical Technology provides students with the educational experience
needed to obtain employment at a hospital. The Fredonia program combines the academic
coursework with internships at affiliated hospitals.
- Molecular Genetics. This degree program provides students with an intensive introduction into molecular
biology and genetics. Our graduates are well prepared to enter the field as graduate
students at research universities or research technicians.
- Pre-Health Professions. Most students interested in the health professions major in Biology. Specialized
courses and advisement are available for these students. The Health Professions Advisory Council works with students interested in medical, dental, veterinary and optometry school.
The Allied Health Professions Advisory Council assists students interested in Physician’s Assistant, Physical Therapy, Respiratory
Therapy, Chiropractic, and Nursing. The Health Professions Club also brings in local
health professionals to meet with our students.
- Graduate. The Department is proud of the accomplishments of our graduate students. We offer
two master's degree programs: M.S. with thesis and a non-thesis M.S. degree. Our programs
prepare students for positions in industry and government labs, further study at the
doctoral level, and qualify provisionally certified teachers for permanent certification
in NY State.
The Biology Department also offers significant curricular support to the Biochemistry and Environmental Science programs.