- The program is geared toward helping people modify their accents closer to that of Standard American English for the purposes of education and general interpersonal communication.
- Accent reduction sessions are designed for non-native English speakers, or those who would like to improve their pronunciation of English.
- Accent reduction therapy is provided individually or in groups.
- Sessions consist of individualized interactive lessons, which can include the use of computer software.
To enhance the individual's American English skill at the three main components of accent:
- pronunciation (production of vowels and consonants)
- intonation (the musical aspect of speech)
- ligatures (connections between words)
- The Youngerman Center Clinic operates from 9:00 am to 4:00 pm Monday through Friday during the University Academic Calendar.
- Melissa Sidor, Clinic Director (716) 673-3203
Related Website Links:Dave's ESL Café - www.eslcafe.com
The Speech Accent Archive - http://classweb.gmu.edu/accent
National Public Radio Program on Accents - www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=1065861