Welcome to the General Education Revision Website!
Click image for PDF download.
2020 Vision: Creating an Integrated General Education Program at SUNY Fredonia is now available.
To view on-line (with fast-links to sections), click here.
Or you can download a PDF of the executive summary,
Given that the skills most needed by students entering the workplace are those that our current general education program (the CCC) is not providing:
- Creative and critical thinking skills;
- Analytical reasoning skills;
- Oral and written communication skills;
- Cultural literacy; and
- Applied knowledge obtained through real-world experiences;
We propose a redesigned general education framework based upon best educational practices:
- FIRST YEAR COURSEWORK (9 credits)
- First-Year ‘Social Inquiry & Integrity’ Interdisciplinary Seminar
- Quantitative Reasoning
- Basic Written Communication
- WRITING ACROSS THE CURRICULUM COURSEWORK (3 credits)
- 2nd Writing Course (preferably within major)
- THEMATIC COURSEWORK (18 credits)
- Three themes from which students are expected to take at least one course each:
- Creativity and Innovation
- Critical Thinking and Analysis
- Global Perspectives and Ethics
The proposed program aligns with the SUNY General Education ‘7/10/30’ model, while our current program, which would be described using the same terminology as a ‘10/10/36’ model, incorporates requirements in excess of SUNY guidelines. The proposed model is also in-line with the SUNY ‘seamless transfer’ mandate.
Furthermore, the four themes of the overall general education framework were chosen to connect directly to the Baccalaureate Goals:
- Social Identity and Integrity (Responsible)
- Creativity and Innovation (Creative)
- Critical Thinking and Analysis (Skilled)
- Global Perspectives and Ethics (Connected)
We are hosting a series of forums to discuss the proposed revision to the general education program:
- Wednesday, March 6, 3:30 - 4:30pm, S204E Williams Center
- Tuesday, March 12, 8:00 - 9:00am, G103C Williams Center
- Thursday, March 14, 3:00 - 4:00pm, G103C Williams Center
- Friday, March 15, 12:00 - 1:00pm, S204D Williams Center
- Monday, March 18, 8:30 - 9:30am, G103C Williams Center
The General Education Revision Subcommittee is charged with the following:
- Provide an initial revised General Education implementation proposal to the Senate Executive Committee two Mondays before the October 2013 Senate meeting.
- Work with the General Education Committee, Senate Executive Committee, the Campus Initiatives Roundtable, and the President’s Cabinet to prepare the document by the Monday before the November 2013 Senate meeting for presentation to the Senate.
- Collect feedback using a range of methods from the campus as a whole and use that feedback to complete a final implementation proposal by the Monday before the December 2013 Senate meeting.
- Consult with the General Education Committee as they prepare a final implementation proposal by the Monday before the February 2014 Senate meeting for a vote by the Senate.
- Once the Senate has approved and the President has ratified the final implementation proposal, oversee the implementation of the revised General Education program during the 2014-2015 academic year.
- The Subcommittee’s role during this oversight process will be to collect and deliberate on program changes and course proposals and make formal recommendations to the General Education Committee.
- Create a final report document on the implementation of the revised General Education program and present it to Senate no later than the May 2015 meeting.
Current Committee Members
Sherri "Sam" Mason, Committee Chair, Chemistry
Nancy Boynton, Mathematics
Kim Marie Cole, English
Patricia Corron, Music
Juan De Urda, Modern Languages
Julie Fitzpatrick, Business Administration
Nancy Hagedorn, History
Carl Lam, Student Representative
Rhea Simmons, Education
Mark Suida, Campus Life
Past Committee Members
Kirstin Hanley, English
Michael Jabot, Education