THEATRE ARTS AND DANCE AUDITION REQUIREMENTS
Performance of two memorized monologues not to exceed a total of four minutes. They should be contrasting pieces from modern/contemporary dramatic literature and should relate to the individual's own age and life experiences.
BFA Production Design
An oral presentation of any of the following:
Sculptural/dimensional art skills, drawing/painting skills, mechanical drafting skills, designs from other disciplines (fashion, architecture, commercial, industrial), designs for the stage (including photographs of shows, examples of costumes, props, etc).
BFA Musical Theatre
- An interview with representatives of dance/music/theatre.
- A solo performance of two memorized songs which demonstrate the voice at its most comfortable and flexible sound. Examples should include selections from the repertoire of musical theatre and/or opera.
Songs do not need to be more than 4 minutes combined.
- The performance of two memorized monologues do not need to be more than 2 minutes combined, chosen from modern/contemporary dramatic literature. Examples should relate to the individual's own age and life experiences.
- A separate audition held in the dance studio from 11:15 am to 12:15 pm. A combination will be taught to the auditionees.
- A "Question and Answer" session will be held in the dance studio (immediately following the dance audition) from 12:15 to 1:00 pm. Parents/guardians invited.
- Improvisations/exercises as suggested by the panel of auditioners.
- Sight read at the piano.
- The Aural and Notational Skills Test.
Auditions will be held in the Dance Studio in Dods Hall Room 148 from 9:00 AM-1:30 PM Students should:
- arrive by 9:00 a.m. to complete an audition form, receive an audition number, and for personal warm-up. Audition class begins at 9:30 a.m.
- bring ballet and jazz shoes, and be prepared to dance in bare feet.
- bring a 3x5 photograph of self in leotard and tights, and attach to your resume. (doesn't need to be professionally shot)
- bring a resume, and two letters of reference
The audition class will include:
- ballet barre
- ballet enchaînements (combinations)
- modern spinal warm-up
- modern phrases
- jazz phrase
All auditionees should submit, with this application, a resume of any previous experiences in theatre, dance and/or associated experiences, and a recent photograph.
Please submit two (2) letters of recommendation from individuals who can best provide an evaluation of your ability and potential.