THEATRE ARTS AND DANCE AUDITION REQUIREMENTS
All auditionees should submit with their application, or bring with them on the day of their audition, a résumé of any previous experiences in theatre, dance and/or associated experiences, and a recent photograph. Please submit two (2) letters of recommendation from individuals who can best provide an evaluation of your ability and potential. A "Question and Answer" session will be held from 12:15 to 1:00 pm on the audition days. Parents/guardians are invited to attend this session.
The Department of Theatre and Dance does not accept videotapes or DVDs as a substitution for a live audition. You must audition in person. Exceptions can be made for international students or for certain extraordinary circumstances.
BA General Theatre
The Bachelor of Arts degree (BA) in Theatre Arts does not require any audition for admittance. Any student accepted by the university may declare Theatre Arts as their primary major.
Performance of two memorized monologues not to exceed a total of three minutes. They should be contrasting pieces from modern/contemporary dramatic literature and should relate to the individual's own age and life experiences.
BFA Technical Production and Design
An oral presentation of no more than 10 of any of the following:
Sculptural/dimensional art skills, drawing/painting skills, mechanical drafting skills, designs from other disciplines (fashion, architecture, commercial, industrial), designs for the stage (including photographs of shows, examples of costumes, props, etc).
BFA Musical Theatre (all tracks)
- An interview with representatives of dance/music/theatre.
- A solo performance of two memorized songs which demonstrate the voice at its most comfortable and flexible sound. Examples should include selections from the repertoire of musical theatre and/or opera. Songs do not need to be more than 4 minutes combined.
- The performance of two memorized monologues do not need to be more than 2 minutes combined, chosen from modern/contemporary dramatic literature. Examples should relate to the individual's own age and life experiences.
- A separate audition held in the dance studio from 11:15 am to 12:15 pm. A combination will be taught to the auditionees.
- Improvisations/exercises as suggested by the panel of auditioners.
- Sight read at the piano.
- The Aural and Notational Skills Test.
Auditions will be held in the Dance Studio in Dods Hall Room 148 from 9:00 AM-1:30 PM Students should:
- arrive by 9:00 a.m. to complete an audition form, receive an audition number, and for personal warm-up. Audition class begins at 9:30 a.m.
- bring ballet and jazz shoes, and be prepared to dance in bare feet.
- bring a 3x5 photograph of self in leotard and tights, and attach to your resume. (doesn't need to be professionally shot)
- bring a resume, and two letters of reference
The audition class will include:
- ballet barre
- ballet enchaînements (combinations)
- modern spinal warm-up
- modern phrases
- jazz phrase