Applications for Appeal of Federal Student Aid
During the course of a year, a family may experience unemployment, death, or disability
of a wage earner. These cases are grounds for a review of the applicant's aid eligibility.
The procedure for filing an appeal due to severe income changes within a family is
- The initial FAFSA/Renewal FAFSA using prior year income has been filed by the family
and the resulting Student Aid Report (SAR) has been received by the student.
- Current year family income has been reduced due to unemployment for a period of 10
weeks or more, death or disability.
- The family then submits a letter to the Financial Aid Office which details the reason
for income change, the date of the income change, and total taxable and untaxed income
for the family during the present calendar year.
- If additional documentation is required by the Financial Aid Office, it will be requested.
- The appeal is evaluated, and eligibility is recalculated if possible.
- A response regarding the appeal determination is sent to the student.