Graduate Studies Orientation

grad office


Frequently Asked Questions

Q.   What is the minimum GPA required?
A.   You must maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.0 to remain in good academic standing.

Q.   What happens if my GPA drops below 3.0?

A.    If your semester GPA drops below 3.0, you will receive an Academic Warning.  This warning is designed to alert you to possible academic danger and allow you to take immediate corrective action.  If your cumulative GPA drops below 3.0, you will be placed on Academic Probation.  You have one academic semester to restore your cumulative GPA to the minimum standard.  If you fail to do so, you may be asked to withdraw from your degree program.

Q.   May I retake a course to improve my GPA?

A.   You may retake up to two (2) courses during a single degree program in order to improve the final course grade(s).  See this link for more details:

Q.   What if I disagree with a course or other grade?

A.   You have the right to appeal a grade that you believe is incorrect.  Please see the following link to review this procedure:  

Q.   May I transfer graduate credit earned at another college or university?

A.    You may transfer a maximum of 9 credit hours of graduate coursework completed at another institution.  Credit will be accepted for coursework that forms a related part of your total SUNY Fredonia graduate program. You are advised to secure prior approval before registering for credit courses at other colleges or universities; credit may also be awarded for coursework completed without prior approval.  More details may be found here:

Q.   How do I change my course schedule once classes start?

A.    Fill out a drop/add form (available in the Registrar’s Office ).  Dropped courses will be removed from the student's permanent record. A fee will be assessed for any course adjustment made after the published deadline.

Q.   How do I withdraw from a course?

A.  You may withdraw from a course with the approval of your advisor or department chairperson starting in the second week of the semester until the seventh full week of the semester. A 'WC' grade will be recorded for the course on your permanent record but will not be counted in your quality point average.  Please see the academic calendar ( for this semester’s course withdrawal dates.

go back

Page modified 5/7/15