Graduate Studies

tuition & funding

Tuition | Funding Opportunities | Financial Aid

We know that graduate school can be costly so we offer a number of funding opportunities to help you pay for it.  



Fees and rates listed below represent current charges for matriculated students attending fall and spring semesters. All charges are subject to change. For updated charges, see this link

* State University policy requires that a student be a resident of New York State for one year prior to registration in order to qualify for in-state resident tuition charges.



Graduate Diversity Fellowships

The Graduate Studies Office awards several diversity fellowships per year to students (must be a U.S. citizen). Fellowships carry a maximum stipend of $5000 per academic year. Intended to increase the diversity of our campus, this fellowship is awarded to those who have overcome challenges in attaining a graduate education. Minorities that have been historically underrepresented in higher education, first generation college students, those raised in a single-parent household, and heads of single-parent families are all eligible to apply. 

To Apply:

  • A one page (minimum) essay addressing how you are qualified for this fellowship.
  • Letter of Recommendation  

Submit your materials by email to:


Graduate Assistantships

We offer graduate assistantships to top quality graduate students interested in working for their departments for a stipend and tuition remission.

Academic graduate Assistants normally carry a 6 to 9 credit hour per semester course load, and work 20 hours a week in laboratories, lecture halls, offices, or classrooms.  The annual stipend for GAs is $6,700, and includes 18 credits of tuition waivers to be used for the current school year.

We make the commitment to fund graduate assistants for the entire length of the program, provided you remain in good academic standing and achieve satisfactory employment evaluations.

To Apply:

  • Complete the Graduate Assistant section of the online application.
  • Submit additional materials as requested by individual departments



Each year you receive a TEACH Grant, you must sign a TEACH Grant Agreement to Serve that will be available electronically on a Department of Education website. The TEACH Grant Agreement to Serve specifies the conditions under which the grant will be awarded, the teaching service requirements, and includes an acknowledgment by you that you understand that if you do not meet the teaching service requirements, you must repay the grant as a Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan, with interest accrued from the date the grant funds were disbursed.  For more information regarding the TEACH grant, click here.


Professional Development Funding

The Graduate Studies Office makes funding available for graduate students interested in attending or presenting at professional conferences. Travel expenses and attendance fees are partially covered by this funding. Additional funding is available for Graduate Assistants for professional development activities relating to their graduate programs.

Graduate Opportunity Tuition Waiver

Full tuition waivers are offered to EOP, EDP, SEEK, or HEOP students who are accepted as full-time students in a graduate degree program.


Vocational & Educational Services for Individuals with Disabilities (VESID)

Financial assistance is provided for those who qualify under prescribed conditions.


Veterans Administration Educational Benefits

Assistance is provided to veterans and/or children, spouses, and survivors of veterans whose deaths or permanent total disabilities were service-connected.



Since graduate students generally receive less student aid than undergraduate students, a personal appointment with a financial aid counselor specializing in graduate financial aid is highly recommended. Interested persons should contact the Financial Aid office at (716) 673-3253 or e-mail for an appointment:

Enrollment Status
It is important to know how enrollment status is evaluated in terms of financial aid eligibility. Interested persons should note the bulleted items below:

  • Graduate Students are considered full-time by the university when enrolled in 9 or more credit hours per semester.
  • Graduate students must be enrolled 12 credit hours to be considered full-time for some financial aid purposes.
  • Graduate assistants may enroll in a minimum of 6 credit hours per semester to be considered full-time for financial aid purposes.
  • Students who have obtained a visa to study in the United States must enroll in a minimum of 9 credit hours in order to satisfy Department of Homeland Security (DHS) requirements.
  • Significant changes in enrollment may affect a student's financial aid. Students must notify the Financial Aid Office in writing if planned enrollment will result in less than full-time status, as defined above, to ensure appropriate financial aid packaging.

Page modified 11/26/14