Transitioning to FREDmail
What Will Be Transferred
- SUNY Fredonia’s Administrative IT team will copy the folders that currently reside in your “Mailbox” on the University’s existing Email (Exchange) Server – with the exception of the Deleted Items folder and the Junk E-mail folder. It may take a few hours or days for all of your mail to copy to Google Apps.
Additionally, the Email Contacts that you have stored on the Fredonia Server (if you have a “local” contacts folder, you will need to upload that yourself) and your existing Fredonia (Exchange) Calendar will be copied to Google Apps. It may take a few hours or days for all of your calendar appointments to copy to Google Apps.
- New e-mail received is directed to your new Google account once your email account has been migrated.
What Won't Be Transferred
- Messages in your Deleted Items folder, Junk E-mail folder or any Personal folders that reside on your computer’s hard drive.
- Any Rules or Filters you had set up in Exchange do not carry over to Google Apps.
- Any forwarding which had been set up in Exchange does not transfer to Google Apps.
- Local Email Contacts
- To read your FREDmail with another email client when off-campus (Outlook, Apple Mail, etc) or a mobile device like a Smartphone, you will need to register your password BEFORE attempting to set up your device or client. The form for registering your password can be found HERE. This form is also used to change your password.
NOTE: when registering your password for use with mobile devices, you are NOT REQUIRED TO CHANGE YOUR PASSWORD. Your existing password can be entered into all 3 fields.
- If you have subscribed to a mailing list using another form of your e-mail address, you can configure an additional e-mail address in your Gmail account by going to Settings, then Accounts, and selecting "Add another email address you own."
- The use of Google Apps at SUNY Fredonia is subject to the University's Computer and Network Usage Policy and the Google Apps Acceptable Use Policy.
Preparing for the Transition
If you have messages saved in your Personal Folders that you would like migrated to FREDmail, you will need to do some file maintenance. The messages you wish to move to Google Apps will be limited by the existing mail Server’s (Exchange) quota limitations. Student accounts are currently limited to 50mb and Faculty/Staff accounts are limited to 100mb. Once migrated to Google Apps, your quota limit will be increased to 7gb.
Delete unnecessary files from your Mailbox on the current Fredonia Email Server (Exchange) to make room to move folders from your Personal Folders up to your Mailbox. This includes permanently deleting messages from your Deleted Items folder and old or unimportant Sent mail that you no longer need.
NOTE: You will still have access to the Personal Folders that currently reside on your hard drive using your existing email client.