|The Information Technology Advisory Board is charged with reviewing software and new technologies for use at SUNY Fredonia. The following criteria serve as guidelines for the types of new technologies reviewed by this committee:
Overview of Applications Proposal Process
- Potential for affecting multiple Stakeholders (offices, departments, many users, students, prospective students, website users, campus members, other large audience)
- Requires investment of time and/or money - to be calculated into "Total Cost of Ownership"
- Overlaps functionality of software that we already have
- Requires additional server space
- Requires widespread training and potential for ongoing support
- Requires IT staff time or Help Desk time
- Potential cost savings for campus-wide desktop application licensing
- Requires security review
- Integrates with protected data (FERPA)
- Maintenance/Support agreement required from vendor
- Collects or distributes data or interfaces with other server software/data
- Fills university-wide, system, legal, ADA, SUNY or some other requirement
Please submit your New Technology Proposal through FredQuest as soon as possible in your planning process. Certain new technologies require a thorough investigation which may include an environment compatibility check, task force review and recommendation, procurement funding, a complete business process review, and endorsement by the ITAB prior to ITS Executive Board approval. Before the new technology is approved for purchasing, the implementation tasks, roles and timelines are identified and assigned as part of this process. Completion of these phases and approvals can at times take weeks or months to complete depending upon the project scope. However, with this work accomplished prior to approval, the project is well on its way to being introduced to the SUNY Fredonia technology environment.
- Requestor submits a FredQuest ticket with the following categorization: Faculty/Staff»ITS Consultation»New»Technology Proposal
- Requestor will be asked to work with a project Manager to complete the review.
- ITS, the Director of University Services and ITAB review the proposal. ITS conducts an environment compatibility check. University Services conducts a licensing agreement review and may conduct a Request for Proposal (RFP) in compliance with State purchasing requirements. ITAB gathers feedback from campus representatives. More information may be requested or a task force may be recommended depending upon scope of project or campus use.
- ITAB endorsed proposals are reviewed by ITS Executive Board for task force creation and/or final approval or rejection.
- Decisions may be appealed to ITAB.