The State University of New York at Fredonia strives to be a civil, responsible, and
just community. The Office of Judicial Affairs maintains the belief that all students
should work together to create an environment of civility towards all. The interest
of Judicial Affairs is to ensure mutual respect among the student population and to
adjudicate cases and educate students who are charged with violations of the Students Rights and Responsibilities (Code of Conduct).
Fredonia strives to be...
- An Educational Community sharing academic goals, with students, faculty and staff
working together to strengthen teaching and learning;
- An Ethical Community reflecting honesty, integrity and fairness in both academic and
- An Open Community welcoming new ideas and protecting freedom of thought, belief and
- A Safe Community respecting each others' rights, personal safety, privacy, and property;
- A Civil Community expressing disagreements in rational and non-threatening ways and
treating all individuals with consideration, decency, and respect;
- A Responsible Community accepting obligations under clearly articulated principles
designed to support the common good;
- A Just Community seeking to resolve conflict and violations of conduct standards fairly
- A Healthy Community respecting and promoting physical and emotional wellness and avoiding
alcohol and drug abuse;
- A Diverse Community celebrating diversity and learning from differences;
- A Socially Conscious Community seeking to contribute to the betterment of society
- A Watchful Community remaining alert and taking steps to eliminate threats posed by
hatred, intolerance, racism, sexism, ageism, and other injustices.
Adapted from Ernest L. Boyer's, Report on Campus Life, The Carnegie Foundation 1990,
the Fredonia Challenge 1995 and from the SUNY Potsdam Pledge 2001. Endorsed by the
Fredonia Student Association, the Task Force on Academic Integrity, the Student Affairs
Committee and the University Senate in May 2002.