Please note that the Archives & Special Collections staff cannot provide individualized genealogical research for patrons. If you require assistance conducting your genealogical research, we recommend consulting a professionally trained genealogist.
The Holland Land Company Records comprise mostly microfilmed material relating to the United States investment activities of the Holland Land Company, an early 19th century Dutch corporation. The main collection, the Archives of the Holland Land Company, spans the years 1789-1869. It is available on 202 reels which were filmed in the Netherlands with the permission of the Municipal Archives of Amsterdam and Nederlandse Document Reproductie B.V.
Contents and Inventory
1,363 color maps from the Archives of the Holland Land Company, featuring maps from the state of New York and the Western New York region as well as from other Holland Land Company holdings and locations throughout the eastern United States, were digitized with the support of 2007 and 2008 Regional Bibliographic Databases and Interlibrary Resources Sharing Program Grants through the Western New York Library Resources Council. Currently housed on the New York Heritage Digital Collections website, the maps can be viewed here.
Inventory of the Archives of the Holland Land Company, 1789-1869, by Dr. Wilhelmina C. Pieterse
Reproduced with permission of the Municipal Archives of Amsterdam and Nederlandse Document Reproductie B.V.
This publication has been scanned in sections for ease of download. Please refer to the table of contents for specific information, reel numbers, and page numbers.
- Table of Contents
- Introduction pp. 9 -25
- Archives of the Boards of Directors in Amsterdam
pp. 26 - 41
Reel Numbers 2 - 55
Inventory Numbers 1 - 287
- Archives of the Representatives in the United States of America
pp. 42 - 69
Reel Numbers 56 - 202
Inventory Numbers 288 -932
Subjects pp. 70 - 71
Personal Names 72 - 73
Topographical Names: 74 - 75
The supplementary collections contain related material that was filmed in various repositories in the United States. Included are:
- Field notes of the grand survey of the Genesee lands - 2 reels;
- Field notes of the surveys of ranges and township lines - 3 reels;
- Lot survey field notebooks, 1798-1815 - 23 reels;
- Holland Land Company records and related documents in the Buffalo and Erie County Historical Society (includes the Joseph Ellicott Correspondence) - 25 reels;
- Holland Land Company and related records in Reed Library (pertaining mostly to Cattaraugus County) - 23 reels;
- Holland Land Company and Chautauqua Land Office records in Patterson Library, Westfield - 52 reels;
- Holland Land Company records in the Batavia Land Office Museum - 17 reels;
- Holland Land Company map collection on colored microfiche and film and more.
Holland Land Company Records in Other Libraries
The records below are in .pdf format and require Adobe Acrobat Reader to view.
- State Archives, Albany, NY
- Genesee County Department of History in the Batavia Land Office Museum
- Buffalo and Erie County Historical Society
- Lorenzo Historic Site, Cazenovia, NY
- Chautauqua County Historical Society
- James M. Olin Library, Cornell University
- Erie County Court House, Buffalo, NY
- George Arents Research Library, Syracuse University