Keiko Abe Marimba Academy
Early Registration (by March 15, 2013) - $450*
Register after March 15 - $500*
Duos must pay individual registration fees
*$200 non-refundable for participant cancellations by April 15. No refunds for participant cancellations after April 15
Registration fee covers all master classes, concerts and events. Participants will receive a certificate for attendance personally signed by Keiko Abe. Enrollment is limited.
Housing and Meal Options - reserve by June 1
Housing and Meals packages (see housing and meals chart PDF)
Package 1: 4 nights dorm stay, 15 meals, ideal for those leaving after the closing concert (Check-in 6/17, Check-out 6/21) - $305 per person
Package 2: 5 nights dorm* stay, 15 meals (Check in 6/16, check out 6/21) - $335 per person
Package 3: 5 nights dorm* stay, 15 meals (Check in 6/17, check out 6/22) - $335 per person
Package 4: 6 nights dorm* stay, 16 meals (Check in 6/16, check out 6/22) - $345 per person
Package 5: 7 nights dorm* stay, 17 meals (ideal for participants in the 6/22 Niagara Falls trip arriving on Sunday, check-in 6/16, check-out 6/23) – $355 per person
Package 6: 8 nights dorm* stay, 19 meals (ideal for international arrivals, participants in the 6/22 Niagara Falls trip, check in 6/15, check out 6/23) - $405 per person
*Dorm housing fees are for single or double occupancy, in a non-air conditioned residence hall.
Meals only options
Package 7: Commuter Meals (all weekday meals) – 15 meals - $150 per person
Package 8: Commuter Meals (lunches only) – 5 meals - $65 per person
Sign up for meals and housing at the time of registration, through the online form. Housing and meal packages must be reserved by June 1. Individual meals will be available for purchase throughout the week at the dinning halls.
Saturday, 6/22 a group will be visiting Niagara Falls, at no additional fee for transportation by university van, returning to the SUNY Fredonia campus for the evening. (Lunch and tourist events are optional expenses on your own.) Space is limited on a first-come, first-served basis. Please indicate your participation at registration. For more information about the Falls, see www.niagara-usa.com/things-to-do/state-park/.
Master Class Application
After review of DVD and letter of recommendation, a select group of approximately 15 applicants will be invited to perform in the master classes with Keiko Abe. These master class performances may vary in length according to the comments about the music and details of performance. This group of participants will be selected through a review process. Please note that all students of the Academy are expected to attend the open master classes with pencil, music, and scores where you will be able to listen to and observe Keiko Abe's feedback about the music and details of performance.
Advanced participants may be invited to perform in ensembles on the closing gala concert with Keiko Abe on June 21st at 8pm.
To be considered for an invitation to perform on the master class, please complete the online registration with payment, then send the following information all in one package to:
Dr. Kay Stonefelt
1. A list of your performances that includes solo or duo* (if applying as a duo) marimba literature within the past two or three years, include titles and composers, dates & venues of performances (student recitals are fine)
2. A letter of recommendation from a professional source (a teacher, a conductor, a professional colleague)
3. An unedited, labeled, physical DVD (either directly playable or including a .mov or .mp4 file ONLY) that can be viewed on a MacBook, of your performance of a marimba solo that best demonstrates your level of musicianship and playing ability, live performances preferred, iFlip, Zoom-type quality is fine (please do NOT include more than one composition on the DVD, only the first selection will be reviewed).
4. List compositions from Abe-sensei's repertoire that you would be comfortable performing
in the master class setting as the Abe Academy will center on Abe-sensei's concept
of playing style, sound production and composition (see repertoire lists www.keiko-abe.com/english/sakuhin/sakuhin.html, or www.keiko-abe.com/english/sekaisyoen/sekaisyoen.html)
What to Bring
- Your own mallets
- Your own music and scores from the Abe repertoire (www.keiko-abe.com/english/sakuhin/sakuhin.html, or www.keiko-abe.com/english/sekaisyoen/sekaisyoen.html) to mark during the master classes. Master class repertoire will be announced by May 1.
- Your marimba? Space is limited, we have several quality marimbas and rooms reserved for individual practice times. Please contact Dr. Kay Stonefelt at Karolyn.Stonefelt@fredonia.edu if you wish to bring your own marimba.
- Personal toiletries (such as soap and shampoo). Bed linens and towels are provided for dorm stays.
Questions about the event? Interested in receiving course credit? Contact Dr. Kay Stonefelt at Karolyn.Stonefelt@fredonia.edu
The 2013 Keiko Abe Academy is generously supported by:
SUNY Fredonia School of Music
Christian R. Granger, '66
Carnahan-Jackson Humanities Fund
Fred W. Boelter
Fredonia Student Association
Fredonia Percussion Guild