General Selection Criteria:
- Applicants must be in (or about to begin) the last two years of a program leading
to certification as a teacher of mathematics or science at the adolescence or middle
- Applicants may be SUNY Fredonia students who are changing their major to a certification
program from a regular mathematics or science major, or transfer students from community
colleges holding the A.S. Degree with an emphasis in science or mathematics.
- Transfers from 4-year institutions may also be considered, provided they are changing
from a regular science or mathematics major to a certification program.
- Minimum 3.0 GPA in the subject area and overall.
- Must be a U. S. citizen, national, or permanent resident alien.
- Complete the application Cover Sheet.
- Request two letters of recommendation that address your academic achievement and potential
for success as a teacher. These letters should be mailed directly to the address
- Compose a brief essay (approximately one page in length) describing your career goals.
File a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Scholarship support is for
a maximum of two years and although this is not a "needs-based" scholarship, you must
file a FAFSA. Go to www.fafsa.ed.gov to file FAFSA electronically. Electronic filing is faster and less prone to error.
You (and your parent if dependent) must obtain a pin number from the U.S. Dept. of
Education to electronically sign FAFSA. The link to obtain the pin number can be found
at www.fafsa.ed.gov. If you choose not to file FAFSA electronically, you can fill
out the paper version of FAFSA available in the Financial Aid Office. Once completed,
you should mail the FAFSA in the envelope provided with the application. Make a copy
for your records. Fredonia's school code is 002844.
RETURN the completed application with your essay and the cover page; The application
and your letters of recommendation (sent separately by the recommenders) should be
Noyce Scholarship Program
c/o Dr. Holly Lawson
201 Houghton Hall
State University of New York at Fredonia
Fredonia, NY 14063
This Grant has now reached the end of its funding period. We are pursue other funding
opportunities to provide additional STEM teacher preparation support in the future.