In the Spring of 2009 the Online Learning Advisory Committee convened and provided
several recommendations as The State University of New York at Fredonia adds to the
100% online course offerings. The committee based their recommendations on past SLN
practices and agreed that instructor preparation and a course review process was an
important component of quality online courses.
Course Approval Process
Initial academic course approvals remain within the purview of the college deans,
department chairs, instructors, and the Academic Affairs Committee. Department chairs
may request that courses be approved for online delivery mode if they meet the following
- The course was taught face-to-face prior to its conversion and there are no significant
differences in the learning objectives between the face-to-face and online versions
of the course (University Senate recommendation);
- There should be approval from the department that the course being proposed is a good
candidate for online delivery (Online Learning Advisory Committee);
- Special Topics courses are not eligible for online consideration until they are approved
by the Academic Affairs Committee or Graduate Council. Courses need to have an assigned
course number to be considered for online delivery (Online Learning Advisory Committee
and Academic Affairs Committee).
Instructor Approval Process
The approval process for a new online course includes several steps. These steps may
take considerable instructor, departmental, and course design assistance for optimal
use of ANGEL functionality depending on how the instructor wants to deliver the course. To
ensure that the instructor has the appropriate technological and pedagogical expertise
to design and deliver a successful online course, faculty must follow these steps
and have their courses reviewed before they will appear in the course offerings. The
completed three module due dates are based on 9 weeks prior to Advising Week for Fall
and Spring semesters and 9 weeks prior to registration for J-Term and Summer.
- Contact Lisa Melohusky (firstname.lastname@example.org), Online Learning Coordinator, to indicate your interest in developing an online
- Demonstrate ANGEL competence by completing "Introduction to ANGEL" and "ANGEL Gradebook"
- Complete "Building Your Online Course" an asynchronous online course preparing instructors
to teach online. This workshop is starting on Monday, September 23 and will run for 8 weeks. To register go to http://pdc.fredonia.libcal.com/event.php?id=399610.
Complete three course modules for preliminary technical review (review guide available
at http://www.fredonia.edu/pdc/pdf/onlinecoursereviewguide.pdf) by the Online Learning Advisory Committee according to the following dates:
- For Fall 2013: January 28, 2013
- For J-Term 2014: August 21, 2013
- For Spring 2014: September 2, 2013
- For Summer 2014: December 18, 2013
- For Fall 2014: January 22, 2014
Upon approval of the preliminary technical review, complete full course and submit
for final technical review two weeks prior to start of the course.