Policies and Procedures Involving Animal Subjects
Please note that the compliance policies involving animal subjects are currently under
review. Contact the OSP Office with questions (673-3569). The manual and policies
will be posted by summer 2014.
The use of animal subjects in scientific and educational activities is governed by
professional standards of ethical conduct as well as by federal and state regulations.
Fredonia is committed to humane care of laboratory animals in carrying out teaching,
research and training activities. To insure compliance with all regulations and requirements,
the Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC) is responsible for protocol
review and implementation of campus policies and procedures.
To expedite review and approval of animal use, researchers must adhere to the following:
- The principal investigator (PI) should contact the Animal Room Supervisor Ed McCarrick in the Biology Department (716) 673-3282 to discuss plans for the physical
requirements of the project early in the planning stage and prior to the use of any
animals in research or training.
- The PI will complete and sign the form "Application for Use of Laboratory Animals
in Research or Teaching" (Currently under review).
- The PI will provide a description of personnel training or experience relative to
animal experimentation along with the background of the responsible investigator in
- The PI must submit a renewal application of the research and teaching protocol to
the IACUC on a semi-annual basis. This report shall describe any changes in the protocol.
If here are no changes, a statement shall be made to that effect.
- The PI, educator or course leader will provide instruction to his technical staff
and/or students regarding specific techniques for the animal project and the aspects
of humane care and treatment, and will assure all technical personnel are familiar
with those sections of the NIH Guide that pertain to techniques being employed see:
- The PI whose application has been denied may have the option of resubmitting a modified