The office of Disability Support Services for Students (DSS) hires qualified notetakers
to provide copies of their notes to students with disabilities that impact on their
ability to take notes in class. Qualified notetakers are students who are registered
in the same course and section as the student requesting notetaker accommodations
who volunteer to be a notetaker. Notetakers are paid a stipend per course, per semester
and must complete all employment paperwork.
Students who are interested in being notetakers can email their schedules to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Notetakers should print course code or name of class and the date of the class at
the top of the first page of notes and date and number subsequent pages.
- Notes should be made available to the student approved for the notetaking services
within 24 hours of the class meeting (excluding weekends and holidays). Notetakers
can give notes directly to the student after class, drop off notes to the designated
folder in the Learning Center, email as an attachment, or any other method agreed
upon by the student and the notetaker. In limited cases DSS can provide the use of
a copy machine.
- Notetakers must attend class and be punctual.
- Make sure your notes are legible and comprehensive.
- Notetakers should contact the student if you will be absent from class. This will
give the student the opportunity to make arrangements (e.g. tape recording class or
asking another student for assistance).
- Notetaker accommodations are confidential. Please do not divulge to anyone the name
of the student(s) for whom you are taking notes, or any other information about the
- Notetakers must complete necessary paperwork in a timely manner, including:
- Student Appointment Form (Pink Sheet)
- Student Employee: Security Responsibility & Confidentiality Agreement
- Signed Student Assistant Time Sheet
- I-9 Identification is required
- W-4 and IT-2104
Notetaker stipends are paid out at the end of the semester. Please note that if the
proper paperwork is not completed the stipend will not be approved for payment.