Students enrolled in a participating high school in Chautauqua County, including Brocton, Dunkirk, Chautauqua Lake, Silver Creek, Ripley, and should apply for this program.
In order to participate in the Upward Bound Program a student must meet the following eligibility requirements:
(1) Be a citizen or permanent resident of the United States
(2) Be a first generation college student (i.e., neither parent has a Bachelor's Degree)
(3) Possess academic potential and be motivated to attend college,
(4) Have completed at least the 8th grade, but not be a senior,
(5) Be at least 13 years of age, but not older than 19 years of age, and
(6) Meet the federal low income guidelines.
Two-thirds of Upward Bound students must meet ALL (1) through (6) of the above eligibility requirements.
One-third of Upward Bound students may meet requirements numbers (1) through (5) and not (6) OR meet all requirements except number (2).
FEDERAL TRIO PROGRAMS 2009 ANNUAL LOW INCOME LEVELS
For family units with more than eight members, add the following amount for each additional family member: $5,610 for the 48 contiguous states, the District of Columbia and outlying jurisdictions; $7,020 for Alaska; and $6,450 for Hawaii.
The term "low-income individual" means an individual whose family's taxable income for the preceding year did not exceed 150 percent of the poverty level amount.
The figures shown under family income represent amounts equal to 150 percent of the family income levels established by the Census Bureau for determining poverty status. The poverty guidelines were published by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services in the Federal Register, Vol. 74, No. 14, January 23, 2009, pp. 4,199-4,201.