New & Transfer Students

step 1Apply for your Veterans Educational Entitlements through the Department of Veteran Affairs 1-888-GI-BILL-1 (1-888-442-4551). If you are a transfer student then you must submit a Request for Change of Program or Place of Training (22-1995) and provide a signed copy of this form to the SUNY Fredonia VA Office. 

                 vonapp(click on the VONAPP icon to apply for benefits online.)

2Schedule an appointment with the SUNY Fredonia Veteran Affairs Office 716.673.3423 and provide the following:

  • Fill out an online SUNY Fredonia Veterans Fact Sheet, click here  (you are required to fill this out before every academic year before you are able to be certified for benefits)
  • Provide a copy of your DD-214 Member 4 (optional for Transfer Students)
  • A copy of any Kicker Program documentation (Army/Navy/Marine Corps/Air Force College Fund, etc.) (optional for Transfer Students)
  • Provide a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility (You should receive this from the Buffalo Regional VA Office after they reach a determination on your eligibility for Veterans Benefits) (optional for Transfer Students)
  • Provide a copy of any other supporting documentation relating to your educational entitlements. (optional for Transfer Students)

The SUNY Fredonia Veterans Affairs Office is located on the main floor of McGinnies Hall Room 154, click here for a campus map.

3You may be able to earn credit for your military training. How do I obtain a military transcript?

Request your official Joint Services Transcript, here.

Send your military training transcript to the following address:

Academic Advising
2148 Fenton Hall
SUNY Fredonia
Fredonia, NY 14063
Ph: (716) 673-3188
Fax: (716) 673-3748

Please note that SUNY Fredonia is a current member of the Servicemembers Opportunity Colleges (SOC) Consortium.

4Apply for Financial Aid by completing a FAFSA form to determine if you are eligible to receive other forms of financial aid by clicking here.

5Please note that SUNY Fredonia provides special services to students receiving educational entitlements:

  • Late Fee Waivers - Please click here for more information. 
  • Tutoring - The SUNY Fredonia Veterans Affairs Office participates in the GI Bill Tutorial Assistance Program. For more information please click here.
  • VA Work-Study Program - The SUNY Fredonia Veterans Affairs Office participates in the federal VA Work-Study Program. For more information please click here. 
  • Counseling Services - Trained staff within the SUNY Fredonia Counseling Center provide confidential counseling services.
  • On-Campus Housing Residency - While SUNY Fredonia requires all freshmen and sophomores to reside on-campus unless they live within 50 miles of the University, this residency requirement is waived for all students who have served on active duty and are receiving VA educational entitlements.
  • SUNY Fredonia has created the Veterans Affairs Support Team which includes specific staff members across campus from key departments that specialize in assisting students with veterans related issues. Please feel free to call these dedicated staff members for assistance:
  • Financial Aid Office - Jeremy Corrente, Assistant Director 673.3253     
  • Admissions Office - Kimberlie Ball,  Assistant Director 673.3251
  • Counseling Center - Tracy Stenger, Assistant Director 673.3424
  • Advising Office - Amy Leclair, Coordinator 673.3188
  • Student Accounts - Lisa Marrano, Associate Director 673.3236
  • Career Development - Tracy Collingwood, Director 673.3327
  • Learning Center - Victoria West, Assistant Director, 673.3550

6wave Sign up for Wave to verify your monthly enrollments online and direct deposit. (Please note that you will recieve your VA educational entitlement checks much faster through direct deposit.)

Page modified 1/25/14