Jeanette McVicker Women's and Gender Studies Scholarship
Requirements for the Women’s and Gender Studies Scholarship
The Jeanette McVicker Women’s and Gender Studies Scholarship was established to recognize and encourage scholarship—and activism informed by scholarly inquiry—in the area of Women’s and Gender Studies. Award amount: $450.
- Have taken/are taking WGST 201, and six additional hours in courses with the Women’s and Gender Studies designation (WGST).
- Shows academic promise. (Suggested GPA of at least 3.0)
- Shows potential to improve status of gender and sexual minories through scholarship and/or activism.
* Declared Women’s and Gender Studies minors and majors will be given preference.
1. Cover sheet: Include the following information: name, phone number, social security number, address, email, class level, major, minor, and women’s and gender studies courses completed or in progress.
2. Essay: Respond to the following questions in no more than two typewritten pages:
- How did you become interested in women’s and gender studies and why are you interested?
- How do you see yourself and others benefiting from your work in women’s and gender studies during your college career?
- What are your goals for the future, and how do they reflect your commitment to elevating the status of women?
- Tell us why you should receive this award and how you would benefit from it. Include any factors about your life situation (financial or otherwise) that you would like the committee to consider.
3. Two Letters of Recommendation: At least one should be from a faculty member. The second could be from a professional staff member at SUNY Fredonia or a pertinent supervisor. Be sure that letters speak to your qualifications for this scholarship in women’s and gender studies. Please have the letters signed across the seal in envelopes, and returned to you to be turned in with your complete application.
4. Transcript: An unofficial copy from the registrar’s office will suffice.
Turn in THREE copies of your cover sheet, essay, and transcript, and single copies of letters of recommendation to the Women’s and Gender Studies Office, 171A Fenton Hall, SUNY Fredonia, Fredonia NY 14063. For questions, email Dr. Jeffry Iovannone, Director of Women’s and Gender Studies Program, at email@example.com.
Deadline: TBA in Spring 2014
History of the Jeanette McVicker Scholarship:
Dr. Jeanette McVicker began teaching in Fredonia in 1988. She, along with a group of Fredonia faculty, was pivotal in reinstating the defunct Women's Studies program in 1996. She served as director of the program from 1996 to 2000, ensuring in those important first years that the curriculum reflected the dynamism and rigor of Women's Studies as an interdisciplinary field of academic inquiry. She also served as faculty advisor to the Women's Student Union from 1993 to 2000.
The annual fundraising event “Women, Rock and Soul” was integral in getting the scholarship fund off the ground. “When Women, Rock and Soul started out in 1996 (the year the minor went into effect and my first year as director),” McVicker said, “the fundraiser supported Women's History Month and Women's Studies programming because we had no budget and WSU was still just an acknowledged student group; they only had a couple hundred dollars a year.” As the program and WSU gained more stable funding, the scholarship became the focus of the event. “We wanted to have an annual event that celebrated women and creativity, and WR&S transitioned into the scholarship fundraiser,” she said. McVicker’s name was added to the scholarship when she stepped down as director in 2000, as a gesture to honor her service to the women’s studies program by those who came after her.