Professional Writing CAS Overview
New York State’s Department of Education and SUNY approved a new 16-credit Certificate of Advanced Study (CAS) in Professional Writing, developed by faculty in the English Department at the State University of New York at Fredonia. The Professional Writing CAS is designed for students interested in becoming more expressive, powerful writers of nonfiction prose, including:
- Working professionals who either are currently employed or will be seeking employment as experts in written communication;
- Writers interested in deepening and broadening their writing skills for diverse contexts and audiences;
- Graduate students in English and related fields;
- Educators seeking writing-specific training and credentials;
- Individuals who work in community service organizations; and
- Individuals dedicated to cultural activities in the community.
The program is designed such that students can complete it in one academic year (two courses per academic semester for a total of four seminars, plus a required three-credit internship, plus an electronic portfolio reflecting work from these courses). Students can also take courses one semester at a time.