Dr. Xin Fan
Dr. Xin Fan
Thompson Hall E317 Thompson Hall
Ph.D., Indiana University
I am a historian of modern China with a strong interest in world history. In my work, I am fascinated by three general issues in historiography and intellectual history in a world-historical context: What is the relationship between past and present in a modern society? What is the relationship between foreign knowledge and indigenous intellectual tradition in a country where nationalism increasingly plays a dominant role in shaping its political consciousness? And how have cultural, social and political conditions affected the production of knowledge in a non-Western society such as China’s during the twentieth century? With these questions in mind, I have developed a broad interest in issues of knowledge production, which includes the sociology of knowledge, postcolonial theory, and recent developments in world and global history.
My Recent Publications:
Xin Fan, World History and National Identity in China: The Twentieth Century (Cambridge University Press, Feb. 2021).
Almut-Barbara Renger and Xin Fan, eds., Receptions of Greek and Roman Antiquity in East Asia (Brill, 2018).
World, East Asia, and China
Chinese Intellectual historiography, historiography, and world/global history
- "World History and National Identity in China: The Twentieth Century ," Cambridge University Press (2021).
- "Introductionto the English edition of Lei Haizong’s Chinese Army and the Chinese Culture," N/A (2020).
- "International Law in Ancient China’: Eurocentrism and the Rethinking of Case Studies in Chinese Intellectual History," Global Intellectual History (2020).
- "Receptions of Greek and Roman Antiquity in East Asia," Brill (2018).
- "世界史学与中国认同 World History and National Identity in China," Master Lecture Series (2021).
- "世界史的“前世今生”：全球视野下二十世纪初中国的西洋史教学 World History before World History," N/A (2021).
- "World History and National Identity in China (book talk)," World History and National Identity in China (book talk) (2021).
- "二十世纪中国的的世界史学与民族认同 World History and National Identity in China," N/A (2021).
- "二十世纪的世界历史与中国认同 World History and National Identity in China," N/A (2021).
- "o From Semi-Colonial Ambiguity to Nationalist Assertation in Twentieth-Century China," N/A (2021).
- "Chinese Natinalism," Cambridge Winter Festival (2021).