International Insurance

The SUNY system works exclusively with United Healthcare to provide international travel emergency and medical insurance. 

This insurance is required for any SUNY students traveling abroad, so if you sponsor programs or advise students to participate in international travel activities, please contact the Office of International Education. Students participating in a SUNY-registered study abroad program are automatically enrolled through the sponsoring SUNY study abroad office. 

Faculty and staff traveling abroad for business or personal reasons can self-enroll through United Healthcare webiste, If your travel is related to university business, this is a reimbursable travel expense. The self-enroll program is eligible for your dependents and for personal travel as well. The benefits of this insurance include streamlined medical, emergency, and prescription coverage, access to online resources and pre-trip planning, and emergency evacuation and repatriation. Coverage is affordable, and cost information is available from the website. 

Before traveling, always check with your primary provider to see what coverage and reimbursement processes are required. 

Take the next step