The Fall 2020 semester: student health information
The Fredonia Student Health Center remains committed to the health and safety of our patients, staff, and community both on and off-campus.
If you have symptoms
If you have symptoms consistent with COVID-19 (fever, cough, shortness of breath, loss of taste/smell, chills, body aches, etc.), stay at your residence hall or off-campus location and call the Student Health Center at 716-673-3131 to enable one of our medical professionals to give you the best advice on how to proceed.
The Student Health Center is currently working in coordination with Brooks Memorial Hospital to provide PCR* testing for COVID-19 for students who present with symptoms consistent with COVID-19. Here is the process:
- A student who is seen by the Student Health Center staff with COVID-19 like symptoms will have the PCR test (nasal swab) performed while in the Student Health Center. This test will be charged to the student's private health insurance.
- This test will then be sent by courier to Brooks Memorial Hospital accompanied by a medical order from one of the health care providers in the Student Health Center and a copy of the students private health insurance.
- While awaiting results, the student may be asked to self-quarantine in order to prevent any potential spread of COVID-19. The Student Health Center will help with this process to get the student settled and ensure all needs are being met.
- Once the results are known, the student will be contacted directly by the Student Health Center.
*PCR = Polymerase Chain Reaction test used to diagnose people who are currently sick with COVID-19
SUNY Fredonia has reserved a residence hall for on-campus (residential) students for quarantine and isolation. For students living off-campus in Chautauqua County, the Chautauqua County Health Department will provide for the needs of students (who the Health Department orders into isolation or quarantine) who cannot isolate or quarantine at their residence.
For students living outside of Chautauqua County and/or engaged in distance learning only, please work with your local Health Department and contact the Student Health Center (716-673-3131 or email@example.com) so we can check-in and offer support, as needed.
Additional Student Health Center information
- Ensuring proper social distancing - We have reconfigured our clinic to allow for students to properly be social distanced while both entering the clinic and awaiting an appointment.
- Enhanced COVID-19 screenings - By use of telemedicine, each student who makes an appointment with the Student Health Center will be screened and triaged over the phone prior to entering our building. Once at the Student Health Center, each person entering , including staff, will be screened for symptoms of respiratory infection (fever, cough, shortness of breath) and have their temperatures checked.
- Mandatory masking - Each person who enters our facility must wear a mask, including all patients and employees. Masks will be provided to you if you do not have one. All staff members will wear a mask while in the building.
- Limiting visitors - To help keep our patients, staff, and community safe, we are temporarily limiting visitors in our clinic. No visitors will be permitted except under special circumstances.
- Extra cleaning measures - High touch areas will be disinfected regularly throughout the day. Exam areas will also be disinfected to appropriate standards. Multiple alcohol-based hand rub stations are accessible. Any person entering the building will be asked to clean their hands with alcohol-based hand rub.
- Appointment-only care - All patients will be admitted into the Student Health Center by appointment only. These appointments include patients coming in for PPD, injections, and emergency contraception needs. Scheduling everyone an appointment helps to keep the flow and distancing of patients and staff controlled making a safer environment for everyone.
- Safety guards - We have added plastic barriers at desks to maintain safety for staff and patients.
- Telemedicine virtual visit - The Student Health Center is proud to offer secure private visits through Zoom. This allows you to communicate with a health care provider without having to leave home. Some care will still require you to be seen in the building, but many things can be managed without having to step outside! To see if your medical needs are amenable to telemedicine, call 716-673-3131. An experienced nurse will be able to help determine how best to use this resource and help set up an appointment.
- Enhanced check in - Low to no-touch check in will be available beginning this fall. Through use of our patient portal, required documents will be sent virtually to students to complete prior to their appointment. When arriving at the Student Health Center, all the student will need to do is give their Fredonia ID number to the front desk staff, and the process is complete. Appointments will be staggered, to allow for better physical distancing and to limit the potential time of exposure.
- Getting the care you need at the time you want - The patient portal provides a unique opportunity for students to not only make in-person, but also virtual appointments throughout the day without leaving their home. These appointments can be made to accommodate both school and work schedules.
Learn more about the services the Student Health Center provides.