Robert Dahlgren, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor, Curriculum & Instruction: Social Studies
Coordinator of the C&I, MSEd. Program
Office: TH E 242 Phone: (716) 673-4654
Dr. Robert Dahlgren received his Ph.D. in social studies education from the University of Florida in August 2008. Before beginning his doctoral studies, he taught social studies in K-12 public schools in the Boston, Massachusetts and Jacksonville, Florida areas for seven years. In addition, he taught in the Graduate Education department of Simmons College in Boston for two years and in the College of Education at Miyazaki University in Japan for three years. In his undergraduate and graduate level courses, Dr. Dahlgren’s goal is to provide practical instruction for pre-service teachers in order to inspire them to teach students to be life-long learners in the social studies.
Dr. Dahlgren’s research interests are driven by the insights that he gained for his teaching experiences and by the desire to provide a voice for social studies teachers. His primary research interest is in academic freedom and controversy, which he views as among the most pressing concerns for high school social studies teachers. His doctoral dissertation concerned the experiences of public high school teachers in Florida with teaching controversial public issues. He will be developing several models for successful teaching of controversy in the social studies. In addition, he has teaching interests in the social foundations of education, philosophy of education and comparative education.
- Dahlgren, R.L. (2010). Teaching in minefields: The experiences of social studies teachers with teaching controversial public policy issues in the classroom. Saarbrucken, Germany: Lambert.
- Dahlgren, R. L. & Wu, V. (2010). Discourse of advocacy: Student volunteers' critical reflections on working with Spanish-speaking immigrant students. In T. Stweart (Ed.). Problematizing service-learning: Critical reflections for development and action (pp. 263-298). Charlotte, NC: Information Age Publishing.
- Dahlgren, R.L. & Washington, E. A. (2009). Alan Kownslar and the New Social Studies. In K. Riley. (Ed.). The New Social Studies: People, Politics and Perspectives (pp. 93-109). Charlotte, NC: Information Age Publishing.
- Dahlgren, R.L. (Winter 2009). Fahrenheit 9/11 in the Classroom. Teacher Education Quarterly 36(1), 24-42.
- The Rouge Forum, Annual Meeting, May 20, 2011 (Chicago, IL)
Paper: "The Images of Public Schools and Teaching in 1970s and 1980s Films."
- College and University Faculty Assembly Annual Convention, November 11, 2010 (Denver, CO)
Paper: "Voice from the Front: Pre-service Teachers and Controversial Public Policy Issues."
- History of Education Society Annual Meeting, November 7, 2010 (Boston, MA)
Paper: "Prosaic, Perfunctory Pedagogy: Representations of Social Studies Teachers and Teaching in 1970s and 1980s Movies."
- Ph.D. – University of Florida, Gainesville, FL 2008
- M.A.T. – Simmons College, Boston, MA 1997
- B.S. – Boston University, Boston, MA 1986