If you intend to connect a personally-owned laptop or desktop to the State University
of New York at Fredonia network, you must first pass the Bradford Dissolvable Agent
client security scan.
In order to pass the requirements and be allowed onto the Fredonia Network, your computer
must meet the following criteria:
- You must have one up-to-date Anti-virus software program running on your computer
with current virus definitions. (Symantec Endpoint Protection software is available
at no charge to all currently registered students.)
- You must have the latest Operating System (ie: Windows, Macintosh, Linux) Critical
and Security updates installed.
- You must know your eServices userID and password.
How to protect your computer
Symantec Endpoint Protection Software
Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP) is licensed by Symantec Corporation to Fredonia. A provision of that license agreement
allows registered students to use a copy of the software on their personal computers.
Former students are not eligible to use the software.
All state-owned computers in faculty/staff offices and labs have virus protection
installed as a part of the machine prep. Some older computers may need updated software.
Please contact the ITS Service Center with any problems. Faculty and Staff are encouraged to purchase and install antivirus
software on their home computers.
Platforms: Windows VISTA/Windows 7/Windows 8/ Windows 10, Mac OSX 10.7-10.10.1
Mac computers will continue to be protected by the Symantec Antivirus Corporate product
By downloading Symantec Endpoint Protection software you are indicating that you have
read and agree to the following:
- Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP) is licensed to Fredonia and not to me as an individual.
- My right to download, install, and utilize this software exits only so long as I am
classified as a registered student by the Office of the Registrar at Fredonia.
- I am personally responsible for insuring that SEP is uninstalled and removed from
my computer when I am no longer classified as a registered student at Fredonia.
- I install the Fredonia provided SEP at my own risk and I acknowledge that Fredonia
is in no way responsible or liable for any damage that the installation or removal
of the aforementioned software may incur on my personal computer.
You must uninstall other Anti-Virus programs before you install Symantec Endpoint
Protection. If you are upgrading from a previous version of Symantec Anti-Virus, you must first
uninstall it. Mac Users: If for any reason this does not work, go to Symantec's Website
to download the RemoveSymantecMacFiles removal utility.
Please only download and install this program if you are comfortable or experienced
with such operations. Fredonia provides this software as a service but cannot take
responsibility for your choice to download and install programs.
- Detects and removes viruses and spyware
- Blocks spyware and worms automatically
- Prevents virus-infected emails from spreading
- Finds and removes hidden threats
- Checks compressed file archives for viruses
- Updates itself automatically
- Automatically scans for viruses after downloading updates
- Includes protection updates and new product features as available throughout the license
period On-going Protection keeps your computer protected from the latest Internet
risks by automatically renewing your subscription at the regular subscription price
(plus applicable tax), so you don't have to.
Policy & Support
Fredonia is providing SEP to students as a courtesy since every computer connected
to the campus network is required to run current anti-virus protection software. "Managed"
anti-virus protection is in place on campus-owned computers.
ResNet and Non-ResNet student anti-virus protection is un-managed. (Fredonia's Computer
and Network Usage Policy A. Academic/Administrative and Residential (ResNet) Network,
Anti-virus Protection V. Services, Section 1)
The ResNet Office provides limited hardware and software support for all students
that live in the residence halls. This includes support for the installation and problem
resolution of the university provided SEP as well as other anti-virus software applications.
Download Symantec Endpoint Protection Software
Students must log on to Your Connection in order to download the software.
Alternative Anti-virus Solutions
Virus Detection and Prevention Tips
For tips on protecting your computer and detecting viruses:
Virus Detection and Prevention Tips
Virus Alerts and Hoaxes
To check for virus alerts and hoaxes, please go to any of these links before forwarding
any virus warnings to the ITS Service Center:
Symantec Anti-Virus Library