Amanda Shepp, MLS
Amanda Shepp, MLS
Senior Assistant Librarian (Coordinator Special Collections)
Reed Library 117 Reed Library
Master of Library Science, State University of New York at Buffalo
Amanda M. Shepp currently serves as the Coordinator of Special Collections & Archives in The State University of New York at Fredonia’s Daniel A. Reed Library Special Collections & Archives Division. She presents and writes on topics related to digitization and historical subjects within the realms of Freethought, Spiritualism, and the Occult. When she’s not elbow-deep in materials from a bygone era, Mandi can be found homebrewing, experimenting in the kitchen, and enjoying life with her happy-go-lucky husband, Chris, and enormous Norwegian Forest Cat, Kujira.
Monday: 9 AM - 5:30 PM
Tuesday: 9 AM - 5:30 PM
Wednesday: 9 AM - 5:30 PM
Thursday: 9 AM - 5:30 PM
Friday: 9 AM - 5:30 PM
Digital humanities, In-house digitization methodologies - The Black Box Method, Specialized research techniques, Research & Archival Pedagogy,, Rare books, Bookmaking techniques, Artist book methods & materials;
Woman’s suffrage, Spiritualism , Freethought, Burned-Over District and related movements, Utopian society movements, Victoriana;
Local History, Legend, Lore, & Haunted History;
Occult Beliefs, Practices, and History, Theosophy, Secret societies, Esoteric and Goetic literature, Phrenology & Esoteric psychology, Esoteric and Occult philosophy, History and practice of illusions and stage magic;
History of 20th-Century subcultures.
Awards and Honors
- Conference Scholarship, Association of College & Research Libraries Rare Books & Manuscripts Section (2018).
- Excellence in Library Service, Western New York Library Resources Council (2017).
- Copyright Leadership Certificate
- Book Repair Basics
- Library Director I
- The League of Awesome Librarians
- Society of American Archivists
- Rare Books and Manuscripts Section of the Association for College and Research Libraries
- Special Libraries Association
- American Library Association
- New York Library Association
- Western New York Library Resources Council
Contracts, Grants and Sponsored Programs
- "Recordings at Risk," N/A (2022).
- "Innovation & Access Grant," N/A (2020).
- "Preservation Assessment Program," N/A (2020).
- "Strategic Planning Assistance," N/A (2019).
- "New York Heritage Digital Collections: Helping Researchers at Home," Western New York Genealogical Society, Inc. (2022).
- "Tips and Tricks for Researching Your Spiritualist Ancestors," Western New York Genealogical Society, Inc., Journal (2021).
- "A Peek Beyond the Veil: “Spiritualist Shorts” at Lily Dale," Rowman & Littlefield/American Alliance of Museums (2020).
- Who's Who at WNYLRC (2022).
- The Joseph Damon Story (2021).
- the New York Times (4).
- Lost In The Stacks: The Research Library Rock 'n' Roll Radio Show (27).
- American Libraries Magazine ().
- The Buffalo Bills @ SUNY Fredonia. , Reed Library (2023).
- Far From Normal: A Rich History of Music at SUNY Fredonia. , Reed Library Music Mezzanine Exhibit Area (2023).
- The Art of Correspondence. , Reed Library Exhibit Area (2022).
- Chautauqua County Ephemera. , Reed Library (2022).
- Founder's Day 2020 Virtual Exhibit. Reed Library Special Collections & Archives Division, Reed Library Website (2021).
- Founder's Day 2019. Reed Library Special Collections & Archives Division, Reed Library (2019).
- Honoring Fredonia Alumni Who Have Served. Fredonia History Days, Festivals Fredonia, Barker Commons (2019).
- Rare Books: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. Reed Library Special Collections & Archives Division, Reed Library (2019).
- " History Where You Least Expect It! Place-based Strategies," Right Here, Right Now: The Power of Place (Annual Conference) (2022).
- "DIY Digitization: Methods & Practices," Preservation Institute (2022).
- "State of the Scholarship in Special Collections & Archives," Preservation Institute (2022).
- "Well, That Escalated Quickly: When One Project Becomes Many Projects," SUNYLA Annual (2022).
- "International Collaboration in Interesting Times: Salzburg, Skype, and Stefan Zweig," Perspectives on International Digital Scholarship Collaborations During a Global Pandemic (2022).
- "Collections/Archives Panel," Future Librarians Day (2022).
- "International Collaboration in Interesting Times: Salzburg, Skype, & Stefan Zweig," SUNYLA Midwinter Conference (2022).
- "Keeping Current: Tips & Tricks for Policy Updates," DHPSNY Webinar Series (2022).
- "International Collaboration in Interesting Times: SUNY Fredonia, Zweig Digital, and StoryMapsJS," Intersect Unconference (2021).
- "Virtual Assessment Experience at SUNY Fredonia," Preservation Section Quarterly Meeting (2021).
- "Failing at Failure," The Connection Virtual Unconference (2021).
- "Advocacy and You," Intersect (Virtual) Unconference: From Shushing to Shouting: Advocacy and Using Your Voice (2020).
- "Advocating for Your Passions and for Yourself," Intersect (Virtual) Unconference: From Shushing to Shouting: Advocacy and Using Your Voice (2020).
- "Weak in Body, Strong in Spirit: Suffrage, Social Progress, & Spiritualism," Virtual Happy Hour Speaker Series (2020).
- "Witches, Wives, Women: Salem Witchcraft & Its Influence on Feminist Theory," Historical Dinners Speaker Series (2020).
- "Special Collections Librarianship," Online Speakers Series (2020).
- "A Slice of Lily Dale History: Colonel Bob and Robert Burns," Monthly Meeting (2019).
- "A Demonstrative History of Sideshow Acts," Monthly Meeting (2019).
- "The Global Library," Intersect Unconference (2019).
- "Mentoring the Mentors," Intersect Unconference: Where Ideas and People Meet (2018).
- "Undoing Library Cliches," Intersect Unconference: Where Ideas and People Meet (2018).
- "‘As God as My Witness, I Thought Turkeys Could Fly’: Failure Confessions," Intersect Unconference: Where Ideas and People Meet (2018).