Absentee Voting Resources
Many students arrive in Fredonia from a different county or state and can't vote at their designated polling place. Rather than choosing not to vote, the American Democracy Project encourages students to vote absentee.
Absentee Voting Resources
- If you are registered to vote at home but will be away on Election Day (i.e., attending school) you may be eligible to vote by absentee ballot. There are many states - including New York - that let you send in an absentee ballot. To learn more about voting by absentee ballot visit, https://www.elections.ny.gov/VotingAbsentee.html
- If you are registered to vote, but not in New York State, check out your state's rules for absentee ballots and early voting.
- Questions about voting absentee? Listen to this PSA that the Fredonia Radio Systems created
- Absentee ballot application form: https://www.elections.ny.gov/NYSBOE/download/voting/AbsenteeBallot-English.pdf
- Visit the website to learn more about the NYS Election Law: https://www.elections.ny.gov/ElectionLaw.html
Voting by Absentee Ballot in NYS
Qualifications to Vote by Absentee Ballot
- Absent from your county or, if a resident of New York City absent from said city, on Election Day.
- Unable to appear at the polls due to temporary or permanent illness or disability; or because you are the primary care giver of one or more individuals who are ill or physically disabled.
- A resident or patient of a Veterans Health Administration Hospital.
- Detained in jail awaiting Grand Jury action or confined in prison after conviction for an offense other than a felony.
To learn more, visit: https://www.elections.ny.gov/VotingAbsentee.html
How to Apply to Vote by Absentee Ballot in NYS (Deadlines)
The New York State Board of Elections has released an online tool to allow any New York State voter to request an absentee ballot online. Visit https://absenteeballot.elections.ny.gov/ to request your ballot today!
- Applications for absentee ballots are available at the County Board of Elections office
- You may also download a PDF version of the New York State Absentee Ballot Application Form
You may also request an absentee ballot by sending a letter to your county board of elections. If you apply by letter, an application form will be mailed with your ballot. If you cannot pick up your ballot, or will not be able to receive it through the mail, you have the right to designate someone to pick it up for you. Only that person designated on your application may pick up and deliver your ballot.
- Upon completion, applications must be received by the County Board of Elections no later than the 15th day before the election or delivered in person no later than the day before the election.
- If you are permanently ill or disabled, you have the right to receive an absentee ballot for each subsequent election without further application.
How to Cast an Absentee Ballot in NYS
- Once you receive the ballot, mark the ballot according to your choices for each office following the instructions on the ballot
- Once you have completed marking your ballot fold it up and place it in the security envelope.
- Sign and date the outside of the security envelope.
- Seal the security envelope.
- All absentee ballots include a pre-paid return envelope. Place the security envelope in the return envelope.
- Seal the return envelope.
- Mail the envelope.
To learn more about voting by absentee ballot visit, https://www.elections.ny.gov/VotingAbsentee.html
Four-Part Video Series
Take a few minutes to watch our four-part video series that breaks down the major components of the absentee voting process.
- Qualifications to Vote Absentee
- How to Apply for an Absentee Ballot
- How to Cast an Absentee Ballot
- How to Return an Absentee Ballot