Welcome to the Social Work program
The Fredonia Bachelor of Science in Social Work Program is accredited as a Council on Social Work Education undergraduate program.
Social Work Program Mission Statement
The mission of The State University of New York at Fredonia Bachelor of Science in Social Work program is to enact the mission of the university and home department, the Department of Sociocultural and Justice Sciences. Through committed, quality teaching-learning activities, the program educates, challenges, and inspires students to be connected, creative, responsible, global citizens and generalist social work professionals who will advance and promote a socially and economically just world.
The goals of the Fredonia Social Work program are as follows:
- The Fredonia Social Work program seeks to prepare generalist social workers who value the principles of service and importance of human relationships in their efforts to maintain and improve the social functioning of individuals, families, groups, organizations, communities and society.
- The Fredonia Social Work program seeks to prepare generalist social workers who are practitioner-researchers: active, applied social scientists who work to strengthen and improve the well-being of others through their critical and scientific approach and enactment of the generalist problem solving method with systems of all sizes.
- The Fredonia Social Work program seeks to prepare generalist social workers who understand and enact the standards and core principles of the NASW Code of Ethics in their interactions, relationships and decision-making.
- The Fredonia Social Work program seeks to prepare generalist social workers who practice ethnic and culturally sensitive social work practice with diverse populations and who fight to eliminate social injustice experienced by oppressed populations.
- The Fredonia Social Work program seeks to prepare well-rounded, liberal arts trained generalist social workers who have mastered the CSWE core competencies, especially the skills and mindset needed in the use of the professional self.
- The Fredonia Social Work program seeks to prepare generalist social workers who integrate knowledge, values, and skills for competent entry-level professional practice and/or graduate education.
If you would like to contact a person to speak to you about Social Work, please call or e-mail Dr. Michael Clarkson-Hendrix, our Social Work Program Director.