Dr. Joseph Straight
Dr. Joseph Straight
Distinguished Service Professor
241 Houghton Hall
Ph.D., Western Michigan University
M.A., Western Michigan University
Dr. Straight is a SUNY Fredonia alumus, and received his PhD (Mathematics - Graph Theory) in 1977 from Western Michigan University. He was promoted to Professor in 1985 and to SUNY Distinguished Service Professor in 2009.
Mathematical Structures and Proof, Linear Algebra, Abstract Algebra, Number Theory, Combinatorics, Data Science, Statistics
Group Theory, Number Theory, Mathematics Education
Awards and Honors
- Alma Mater Society, SUNY Fredonia Student Association (2010).
- Honorary Member, Golden Key International Honor Society (2008).
- Meritorious Service Award, Mathematical Association of America (2008).
- Fellow, American Congress on Surveying and Mapping (1998).
- Member, New York Pi, Pi Mu Epsilon (National Mathematics Honor Society) (1972).
- Sigma Xi
- Association of Mathematics Teacher Educators
- Association of Mathematics Teachers of New York State (AMTNYS)
- National Council of Teachers of Mathematics
- Seaway Section, Mathematical Association of America
- Mathematical Association of America (MAA)
Contracts, Grants and Sponsored Programs
- "Computer Science, Mathematics, and Physics Scholarships (CSMAPS) ," N/A (2017).
- "Pythagoren Triples in Multiplicative Groups of Prime Power Order," Pi Mu Epsilon Journal (2015).
- "Pythagorean Triples Modulo a Prime," Pi Mu Epsilon Journal (2014).
- "The "Howard" Statistic: Reimagining the Chi-Square Test," Student Research and Creativity Exposition (2023).
- "An Analysis of Ballet Company Repertories," Student Research and Creativity Exposition (2022).
- "Methodology and Variance of Quartile Calculations," SUNY Undergraduate Research Conference (2022).
- "Pythagorean Triples Revisited," 52nd Annual Conference, NYSMATYC (2019).
- "What's My Similarity?," Sixty-Seventh Annual Conference, AMTNYS (2017).
- "My Favorite Curves," Annual Conference, NYSMATYC (2017).
- "Do You Believe in Magic? Squares, that is! ," Spring Conference, Seaway Section, MAA (2013).