Graduate Assistantships

A Graduate Assistant working as a casual employee is paid on an annual basis or flat rate basis for work performed. Graduate, research, and teaching assistantships are available to highly qualified graduate students in many academic departments. Graduate assistants normally carry a 6 to 9 credit hour course load and perform duties in laboratories, lecture halls, and classrooms.

Applying for a Graduate Assistant Position

Graduate assistantships are available only to students admitted to, or enrolled in a graduate program.

Incoming/Currently Enrolled Students:
To apply for an assistantship, please check our Human Resources website for available positions.

Criteria for the awarding of an assistantship may include, but are not limited to: undergraduate grade-point average, standardized test scores, past experience or training, interest in the field of study, letters of recommendation, and/or personal interview.

Receiving a Graduate Assistantship

If you have been awarded a graduate assistant position, you will receive a contract letter, tuition waiver form, and new hire paperwork in the mail. If you need assistance completing your new hire paperwork please contact the Human Resources department at (716) 673-3434 to set up an individual appointment. Sign and return the contract letter to the Graduate Studies Office immediately. The tuition waiver form must be approved and signed by the department chairperson before it can be signed by the Associate Vice President for Graduate Studies & Research.

Salary and Hours

  • A newly hired GA will receive a stipend of $6700 plus any negotiated increases working 20 hours per week. (Speech Pathology GAs will receive a stipend of $3350 working 10 hours per week).
  • Returning GAs will receive an increased stipend of $7200 plus any negotiated increases.

 Tuition Waiver Form

  • This form should be completed for every semester of your appointment during the academic year.
  • The form is available for download here.
  • No more than 18 credit hours of tuition waivers at the New York State resident rate can be awarded to a graduate assistant for the academic year.

Dropping a Course

  • If you choose to drop a course covered by a tuition waiver you will be responsible for a portion of the tuition amount incurred.

Health Insurance

  • The SUNY Student Employee Health Plan (SEHP) is available to eligible graduate assistants represented by GSEU (Graduate Student Employees Union).
  • Bi-weekly health insurance payments are automatically deducted from your pre-tax paychecks. Current health insurance rates are available here.




Take the next step