A Graduate Assistant is an employee who is paid on an annual basis or flat rate basis for work performed. Graduate, research, and teaching assistantships are available to highly qualified graduate students in many academic departments. Graduate assistants normally carry a 6 to 9 credit hour course load and perform duties in laboratories, lecture halls, and classrooms.
Graduate assistantships are available only to students admitted to or enrolled in a graduate program. To apply for an assistantship, please check our Human Resources website for available positions.
Criteria for the awarding of an assistantship may include, but are not limited to: undergraduate grade-point average, standardized test scores, past experience or training, interest in the field of study, letters of recommendation, and/or personal interview.
Receiving a Graduate Assistantship
If you have been awarded a graduate assistant position, you will receive a contract letter and and new hire paperwork electronically. If you need assistance completing your new hire paperwork please contact the Human Resources department at 716-673-3434. Sign and return the contract letter to the Human Resources department.
- A new full-time graduate assistant will receive an annual stipend of $6700 (plus any negotiated increases) for working 20 hours per week.
- A new half-time graduate assistant will receive a stipend of $3350 (plus any negotiated increases) for working 10 hours per week.
- Returning graduate assistants will receive an increased stipend of $7200 or $3600 (depending on obligation) plus any negotiated increases.
- The online tuition waiver form is here. Please contact Dana Bearer (email@example.com) with any questions.
- No more than 18 credit hours of tuition waivers at the New York State resident rate can be awarded to a graduate assistant for the academic year.
- If you choose to drop a course covered by a tuition waiver you may be responsible for a portion of the tuition amount incurred.
- The SUNY Student Employee Health Plan (SEHP) is available to eligible graduate assistants represented by GSEU (Graduate Student Employees Union).
- Bi-weekly health insurance payments are automatically deducted from your pre-tax paychecks. Please contact the Human Resources department with questions about benefits.