Fredonia Fast Facts
Overview: Founded in 1826, The State University of New York at Fredonia is one of the jewels of the SUNY system, known for its welcoming atmosphere, distinguished faculty, and beautiful campus.
University President: Stephen H. Kolison Jr., Ph.D., 2020-present
Our beautiful 256-acre campus is located in Chautauqua County in Western New York. Located in the historic village of Fredonia, the campus is less than an hour from Buffalo, one hour from Erie, Pennsylvania, 90 minutes from Rochester, and 2.5 hours from Cleveland and Pittsburgh.
- Total: 3,236
- Undergraduate: 2,880
- Graduate: 356
- 60:40 Female-Male Ratio
- 7% African American students
- 11% Hispanic/Latino students
- 2% Asian students
- 2% foreign students
- 3% students of two or more races
- 2% other or unknown
- Our students come from 34 different states and 19 different countries
- 85-95 middle 50% of high school GPA
- 1070-1260 middle 50% of SAT scores
- 18-23 middle 50% of ACT scores
Since 2020, Fredonia has been test-optional.
- 90% of undergraduate students receive financial aid
- 78% of undergraduates are receiving a grant or scholarship
- 97% of first-year students are receiving financial aid
- 94% of first-year students are receiving a grant or scholarship
- 40% of Undergraduates receive Pell Grant
- 38% of Undergraduates receive TAP (NYS’s Tuition Assistance Program)
- 19% of Undergraduates receive Excelsior Scholarship
- 22 average class size
- 13:1 student:faculty ratio
- 87% full-time faculty with highest degree in their field
- Over 1,000 study abroad programs in more than 60 countries on all seven continents available through SUNY!
- 15% of Fredonia students will study abroad at one point in their undergraduate career; that's higher than the national average of 10%
Fredonia is a member of the competitive SUNY Athletic Conference (SUNYAC).
- Women: 11 programs (soccer, tennis, volleyball, cross country, basketball, swimming and diving, track and field - indoor and outdoor, lacrosse, softball and cheerleading)
- Men: 8 programs (soccer, cross country, basketball, hockey, swimming and diving, track and field - indoor and outdoor, and baseball)
- Indoor facilities: A new state-of-the-art fitness center, two gymnasia, swimming arena, diving well, ice arena, track
- Outdoor facilities: University Stadium soccer and lacrosse fields, practice soccer fields, baseball field, softball field, outdoor running track, cross-country running course, and basketball and tennis courts.