Dr. Courtney Wigdahl-Perry
Dr. Courtney Wigdahl-Perry, Ph.D.
Science Center 237 Science Center
Ph.D., University of Maine
I am an aquatic ecologist, interested in lake response to natural and human-caused environmental changes on different spatial and temporal scales.
Introductory biology courses, Aquatic ecology, Global Change Biology, Environmental Science courses
Lake ecology; paleolimnology; diatoms; zooplankton; habitat zonations in lakes; saline lakes; harmful algae blooms; water quality; water chemistry; phytoplankton
Contracts, Grants and Sponsored Programs
- "Harmful Algae Bloom Surveillance Program: Water Quality Groundtruthing," N/A (2019).
- "Nutrient function over form: Organic and inorganic nitrogen additions have similar effects on lake phytoplankton nutrient limitation. ," Limnology and Oceanography (N/A).
- "Prevalence of nitrogen and phosphorus related to nutrient stoichiometry, land use, and primary producer biomass across the northeastern United States. ," Inland Waters (2020).
- "Comprehensive Lake and Watershed Management Plan for Bear Lake, New York," N/A (2018).
- "Transparency, geomorphology and mixing regime explain variability in trends in lake temperature and stratification across Northeastern North America (1975-2014)," Water (2017).
- "Investigating potential effects of zooplankton grazing on diatom-inferred drought reconstructions," Hydrobiologia (2017).
- "High-frequency lake data benefits society through broader engagement with citizens, stakeholders, and decision makers: a synthesis of GLEON data use survey and member experiences," Inland Waters (2016).
- "Response of temperate lakes to drought: a paleolimnological perspective on the landscape position concept using diatom-based reconstructions," Journal of Paleolimnology (2016).
- "The influence of basin morphometry on the regional coherence of patterns of diatom-inferred salinity in lakes of the northern Great Plains (USA).," The Holocene (2014).
- "Dissolved organic matter composition and photoreactivity in prairie lakes of the U.S. Great Plains. ," Limnology and Oceanography (2011).
- "Multiproxy paleolimnological assessment of biogeochemical versus food web controls on the trophic states of two shallow, mesotrophic lakes. ," Journal of Paleolimnology (2011).
- "How do UV radiation, temperature, and zooplankton influence the dynamics of alpine phytoplankton communities?," Hydrobiologia (2010).
- "Effects of nutrients and dissolved organic matter on the response of phytoplankton to ultraviolet radiation: experimental comparison in spring versus summer.," Hydrobiologia (2009).
- "Phytoplankton productivity across prairie saline lakes of the Great Plains (USA): A step toward deciphering patterns through lake classification models. ," Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences (2009).
- "Patterns of seasonal phytoplankton distribution in prairie saline lakes of the northern Great Plains (U.S.A.). ," Saline Systems (2009).
- "Potential exposure to cyanotoxins in splash while recreating , seasonally dynamic microcystin indicators.," Joint Aquatic Sciences Meeting (JASM) (2022).
- "Potential exposure to cyanotoxins in splash while recreating during cyanobacterial harmful algal blooms.," Northeast Aquatic Plant Management Society Annual Meeting (2022).
- "Exchange between two basins through a narrow by in an unstratified Chautauqua Lake, N.Y.," North American Lake Management Society Annual Meeting (2021).
- "Algae Bloom Surveillance: Drones and Hyperspectral Imaging Update," Finger Lakes Institute’s Harmful Algal Bloom Conference (2021).
- "High frequency monitoring of the thermal stratification in the South Basin of Chautauqua Lake.," Biology Department Summer Research Symposium (2021).
- "The Effects of Iron on Harmful Algal Blooms in Chautauqua Lake.," Biology Department Summer Research Symposium, SUNY Fredonia (2021).
- "Water, Water, Everywhere: Aquatic Ecology Research at Fredonia," Diane Pennica Faculty Research Award Talk (2021).
- "Aerial surveillance of algae blooms: Using hyperspectral imaging and drones to track bloom dynamics," Chautauqua Lake Water Quality Panel (2021).
- "Science Denial," SUNY Fredonia Brown Bag Series (2021).
- "Environmental Science and Policy," The 2020 election is over…now what? ADP & DEI Series (2021).
- "Algae: Friend or Foe? Understanding the Base of Food Webs in Lakes. ," N/A (2021).
- "Thermal stratification at Chautauqua Lake (NY): Implications for internal phosphorus loading. ," North American Lake Management Society International Symposium (2020).
- "Thermal stratification and implications for internal phosphorus loading; Drone surveillance of harmful algae blooms. ," Chautauqua Lake Water Quality Panel (2020).
- "Nutrient Limitation of Plankton Communities in Lakes Across Northeastern North America," North American Lake Management Society International Symposium (2019).
- "Detection: Project Overview and Update on Drone Surveillance of Algae Blooms with Hyperspectral Imaging (HSI)," Harmful Algal Bloom Conference (2019).
- "Small but Mighty: Algae Communities at Chautauqua Lake," Lake Walk Series (2019).
- "Algae: Understanding the Base of Chautauqua Lake’s Food Web," Chautauqua Lake Conference (2019).
- "Going Green? Understanding Harmful Algae Blooms at Chautauqua Lake," Dunkirk-Fredonia Rotary Club Luncheon (2019).
- "Lakeside Lab – Exploring Chautauqua Lake’s Underwater Life," Lake Walk Series (2018).