- Completion of a baccalaureate degree in an area of arts, science, or education.
- Undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or above.
- Completion of 12 credit hours of a language other than English (LOTE), except for applicants who are native speakers of a LOTE. PLEASE NOTE: Applicants can apply and be admitted to the program before completing this requirement.
- Current or pending NYS Teaching Certification is required for TESOL Option 1, AC-TESOL, and AC-BLE programs.
- Proof of training under the Dignity for All Students (DASA). Applicants can apply and be admitted to the program before completing this requirement.
- A completed graduate application, which includes:
- Contact information for three professional/academic references.
- An 800-1200 word statement of intent addressing the following: Describe your reasons for pursuing a graduate degree in TESOL and support your rationale with specific information pertinent to your desired degree.
Additional Requirements for Non-Native Speakers of English to the TESOL Program
- Evidence of English proficiency by achieving the following test scores: TOEFL: 79 iBT; IELTS: 6.5; Cambridge English: 176; PTE: 53.
- Fredonia's school code for reporting the TOEFL and IELTS scores electronically is 2539. International students who have been awarded a prior degree from the U.S., U.K./Ireland, Australia, Anglophone Canada, New Zealand, and the Commonwealth Caribbean prior to applying to Fredonia are not required to submit a TOEFL or IELTS.
- Standard error of measurement (SEM), which accounts for measurement errors associated with test design, will be taken into consideration. In other words, if your scores do not meet the requirements here but are within the SEM, the TESOL program coordinator has the discretion to evaluate your scores in relation to your full application.
- Learn more about international graduate admission.