Skip to main content

General Questions


Q: How do I pay the fee for Under the Influence, Marijuana 101, or Fredonia CARES?

A: You can either visit the Office of Student Accounts on the 3rd floor in Maytum Hall to pay your fee in person, or if you'd prefer to pay online: PAY HERE​


Q: How can I sign up for NY Alert so I can receive emergency notifications?

A: Visit the following link and follow the instructions: Click Here


Reports of Sexual Violence Offenses


Q: Will my parents be notified regarding the charges, the hearing, outcome, etc.?

A: The University will not notify parents regarding the charges, the hearing, outcome, or any other aspect of a sexual violence complaint without permission. 

Q: Will I have to see, speak to, or answer questions from the respondent during the hearing process?

A: Fredonia works very hard to ensure a fair and balanced judicial process for both parties. If you feel uncomfortable about having to see the respondent, there are ways we can minimize contact (ex: screen, video conferencing equipment, etc). Both the complainant and the respondent may ask questions of each other and all witnesses at a hearing. To minimize contact between the two parties and ensure questions are relevant to the case, all questions are posed to the Judicial Board first. The Judicial Board then poses the question to the appropriate person. The respondent can not directly ask the complainant any questions. In Title IX cases, a party's advisor/support person will pose questions to the other party and any witnesses.

Q: Can I bring someone with me to the hearing or other meetings associated with my sexual violence complaint?

A: We encourage students to have a support person present during the hearing and at other meetings associated with your sexual violence complaint. This person cannot speak on your behalf, but can provide you emotional support. 

Q: Who sits on the Judicial Board? What if I know someone on the board?

A: The Judicial Board is comprised of faculty, staff, and students at Fredonia. Judicial Board members are expected to recuse themselves from cases where they know either the complainant or respondent. If you feel that someone on the board is unable to fairly hear your case, please notify the Director of Student Conduct prior to the start of the hearing. 

Q: Will the campus community be notified about the hearing?

A: Judicial Board hearings are closed proceedings. No one outside of the Office of Student Affairs and those on the Judicial Board are informed of disciplinary hearings. Judicial Board members are prohibited from discussing cases outside of the hearing. 

Q: What will happen to the respondent if they are found responsible?

A: A student found responsible for a violation of the University's Policy on Sexual Violence will be suspended or expelled from Fredonia. 

Q: Can I call witnesses? Can the respondent call witnesses?

A: At the hearing, the complainant and the respondent will have the opportunity to explain the circumstances surrounding the incident and invite witnesses. Both parties can ask questions of witnesses. 

Q: What happens after a complaint is filed?

A: After a complaint is filed, you will be contacted by the Director of Student Conduct to discuss the report. Usually, a one-on-one meeting will be scheduled with you to discuss the report, your options, available resources, and the judicial process. 

Q: What if the incident occurs off-campus?

A: If the alleged incident occurs off-campus and the respondent is not part of the campus community, you should contact local law enforcement. You should also contact the Counseling Center who can provide you with assistance and support. As a campus, we can decide to restrict someone from being on campus, that is a danger to our community, by making them Persona Non Grata (PNG). This happens on a case by case basis. If the alleged incident occurs off-campus and the respondent is a Fredonia student, you should report it to both the local law enforcement as well as the Office of Student Conduct. Since the campus has jurisdiction wherever a student is, we have the ability to pursue disciplinary action for off-campus misconduct.


Judicial Board and Administrative Hearings


Q: What is the difference between a Judicial Board Hearing and an Administrative Board Hearing?

A: They are both procedurally the same. The difference is who hears the case. The Judicial Board is a five-person panel comprised of student members, as well as faculty and staff members. The Administrative Board is a three-person panel comprised of faculty and staff members. 

Q: What is expected of me at the hearing?

A: The Board will ask the respondent to respond responsible or not responsible to the charges. Members of the Board will then ask the respondent to describe what happened. It is suggested that the respondent prepare a statement beforehand so they don't leave out any details. 

Q: Can I bring someone with me to the hearing?

A: Yes, you can bring a support person with you. This person does not have a speaking role in the hearing; their role is to support/advise you. 

Q: Can I call witnesses?

A: Yes. It is recommended, although not required, that you let the Director of Student Conduct know what witnesses you are bringing prior to the hearing. 

Q: Can I ask questions of witnesses?

A: Yes. These questions must be asked through the Board. 

Q: If I have prior violations, does the Board know about them?

A: If a student has prior violations, the Board is not made aware of this before the hearing. The Board will only be informed about prior violations if the student is found responsible and an appropriate sanction needs to be determined. 

Q: When will I know the outcome of the hearing?

A: The Board will usually make a decision soon after the hearing concludes. You will be notified of the outcome within 3-5 days following the hearing. 

Q: Can I appeal the hearing decision?

A: Yes. You can submit one appeal within 5 days of receipt of your hearing decision letter. You can appeal on either of two grounds: that there was a procedural due process error or that there is new evidence that was not entered at the hearing that could  significantly change the outcome of the hearing.


Information for Parents/Guardians


Q: My student was involved in an incident. What happens next?

A: It depends on their involvement. The first part of the process is to have a fact-finding meeting with either a Residence Hall Director or the Director of Student Conduct, depending on the location and/or severity of the incident. At this meeting, it is determined the person's involvement in the incident. This can occur before or after the student receives a charge letter.

When a student is charged with a violation, they have the option to accept responsibility for the charge(s). If the student chooses to do this, they waive their right to a hearing and an appeal.

If the student wishes to dispute the charge(s), they would need to contact the Office of Student Conduct. During the academic year, the student would have the option to have their case heard in front of the University Judicial Board or an Administrative Board. During winter break and summer, the student only has the choice of an Administrative Board. See here for more details on the hearing process.


Q: Can the student appeal the Judicial Board's decision if they've been through a hearing?

A: Yes. A student can submit a written appeal within 5 days of receipt of their finding letter. The student can appeal on two grounds: that there was a procedural due process error or that there was evidence that was not entered at the hearing that would significantly change the outcome of the hearing. 


Additional Resources


College is a time when students grow, both mentally and personally. Through the maturation process, students test values that at times can be converse to the ones that were instilled through childhood. While there may be behavior that is appropriate for this transformative stage in life, parents/guardians should look out for major changes in mood, behavior, etc.


If you see something in your student that does not seem right, you should seek help. Our campus has many resources: our Counseling Center can provide assistance both in conversation as well as in sharing helping resources. Residence Life and Campus Life can also be helpful in discussing the many opportunities your student has to be involved in the campus. The Office of Student Affairs is also another great resource for general questions.


[ Back to Top ]

Office of Student Conduct

  • G105 Williams Center State University of New York at Fredonia Fredonia, NY 14063

Take the next step

Request Info Visit Apply