Advising Support for English Language Learners
The resources on this page will aid you in your work with students for whom English is not their first language. For further assistance, or to schedule an informational session, please email email@example.com.
Who are English Language Learners?
The terms ESL (English as a Second Language), and ELL (English Language Learners), are often used interchangeably to refer to students for whom English is not the primary language learned as a child, or used at home in day-to-day life. ELL students at Fredonia come from varied language and cultural backgrounds.
What support resources are available for advisors and faculty?
- Starfish Advising flag for ESL Support: if you are concerned about a student's success and feel that English proficiency or comprehension might be a barrier, this Starfish flag will alert the ESL & International Pathway staff, who will reach out to support the student directly
- English Language Learners Classroom Experience (text).pdf
- Advising ESL Students.pdf
What ESL student support services are available at Fredonia?
- Cohorted sections of Fredonia Foundations: several Fredonia Foundation courses have been customized for the International and ESL audience
- Non-credit skills courses in Grammar, Writing, Reading, Listening and Speaking
- Assessment and advising