Skip to main content
Prior Service for Retirement Purposes

Prior service is New York State public service completed before you became a member of one of the retirement systems either the New York State Teachers Retirement (TRS) or the New York State and Local Retirement System. 


Claiming Prior Service

1. Print the Prior Service form from your respective retirement system.

2. Complete the form with all pertinent information including years of service you are looking for, any maiden or other names used during that time, etc.

3. Mail the completed form to

           SUNY Fredonia
           280 Central Ave
           303 Maytum Hall
           Fredonia, NY  14063

Once the form is completed Payroll will mail the completed form to the retirement system.  The retirement system will contact you with further details.


What to do if no records are found on Campus

1. Send a request for your wage information to

  • Give them your name, address, and the years you are requesting wages for

  • Complete the Personal Privacy Release Form and send it to the address at the bottom of the form

  • If the Comptroller’s office returns wage information to you, then you must send the prior service form from the retirement system along with the comptroller’s information to the address listed above.  Payroll will complete the form and forward it onto the retirement system.  The retirement system will contact you with further details.

Personal Privacy Release Form

Personal Privacy Form Instructions

2. Contact the Social Security Administration to request earnings information Receive your yearly totals of earnings through Social Security's website Call


Payroll Services

  • 302 & 303 Maytum Hall State University of New York at Fredonia Fredonia, NY 14063

Take the next step

Request Info Visit Apply